Permission granted

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: Permission granted

Postby MKSwing » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:40 pm

michel wrote:ECM Giotto has this 'overheating'-problem too! Nothing to worry about though... Just pulling a shot of blank water will solve the problem... as mentioned by Flimbag... (overheating is a problem with all HX machines I've come across... what about the Isomac? Neku?)

As I'm looking for a new machine too by the end of the year, I lloked at lots of review and yes, overheating is always the problem with HX machines. Looks like, if you're not mad about cappucino, you could think about a Zaffiro or its replacement, the Amica from Isomac. You'll have a great looking machine with the E61 group and no problem about overheating.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby michel » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:21 pm

Neku wrote:I don't own an Isomac, Michel, I have a VBM - not even a HX, thanks for reminding me ;( I have no idea how it behaves temperature wise, as I don't have a decent thermometer. I'll have to work on my geekdom to keep up with you guys.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: SORRY! :oops: :oops: :oops:

About not having a thermometer... Giotto's overheating is easily spotted as after two hours sitting idle... almost boiling water comes out... (I know I have to screw the brew-temp lower... but frothing becomes problematic then... Sometimes I think I found the Gold-spot for the brew-temp and froth-temp... but the next day: :? )
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby robbie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Back again ...
Sorry everyone but a change of plans ... finally made a decision ... I'm going for the Reneka Techno, finally got Mrs R to agree though I don't think she really sees the point - although the cost over 10 years argument seemed to hold some kind of water with her. More of a case of well if you really want one go and buy it I've lost interest ... must have known I'd bore her eventually :o
Still got to get more information from Rene before I hand out the cash. Anyone ever actually tried one of these by the way? All looks good but then it always does, seperate steam and espresso boilers & plumbed in. It seems to have everything but knobs that I would like but am I missing something?
Cheers
Robbie
robbie

Postby HughF » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:49 pm

Have you tried Google Groups for alt.coffee posts? I believe D. Ross there has a Techno but it must be the earlier model. The latest Coffeegeek consumer review of the Techno was October 2003 so probably the earlier model also. I believe the 110 Volt versions may only turn one boiler at a time but 220 Volt runs both at once happily - IIRC, don't take my word for it.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby michel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:58 pm

Robbie,
HV, also member of this forum... although not posting much... almost nothing if I'm correct :? ... has the Reneka and I gave you the link to his review of it already...
I would have bought one if I had the cash at that time... (which I didn't :cry: ) because of HV's history... I hope he would be so kind to explain himselve, but as far as I have search the records: HV was a very demanding coffee-lover, who searched all over internet to make his final upgrade (and posted 'extremely-long' post on alt.coffee). And when he did upgrade... the need to make any more posts was over... At least thats what I thought at the time (about a little less than a year ago): Somebody THAT busy with reaching perfection, posting whenever he could... and then suddenly silence... a good review... and after that: nothing! And why should you? When you were in the 'posting-business' not for fun, not for meeting other coffee-lovers, but just for reaching perfection; everthing is over after the Reneka... as it seems...

On the other hand... the Reneka is a French machine... and you know what they say about French cars :roll: :roll: :roll:
(nothing to worry about though... I drive french cars over 10 years now and never had any problems with them :wink: )

Have you search the google files for: Reneka already..? And maybe you can try to reach HV by mail too! He has the machine for over 2 or 3 years now and is probably an expert on the subject!

Michel
(Looking forward for your posts on this machine :) :D :) :lol: :) :D )
michel

Postby MKSwing » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:26 am

michel wrote:On the other hand... the Reneka is a French machine... and you know what they say about French cars :roll: :roll: :roll:
(nothing to worry about though... I drive french cars over 10 years now and never had any problems with them :wink: )

Yes it's french but it's built by alsacians.
And as one of them, I can tell you the rest of France see us as good workers, maybe because we're living near Germany and we're very close to them mind speaking.
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby phil » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:23 am

Just as an aside - cat amongst the pigeons time :D - have you considered the La Spaziale S1?

Dual boiler, price competitive to the Techno (possibly cheaper?). I recently had a play with a La Spaziale two group - and with hardly any effort at all pulled one of the best shots I've ever pulled.

An La Spaziale is available in the UK.

Just a thought. :twisted:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:28 pm

MKSwing wrote:
michel wrote:On the other hand... the Reneka is a French machine... and you know what they say about French cars :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes it's french but it's built by alsacians.
And as one of them, I can tell you the rest of France see us as good workers, maybe because we're living near Germany and we're very close to them mind speaking.

As I already said: A good machine :!:
michel

Postby robbie » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:32 pm

Phil
thanks for your vote on behalf of the La Spaziale (looked it up on Chris's Coffee and it looks the part) but I think I'll stick with the Reneka, it's taken a week to convince Mrs R and to change now would just seem like I can't make a decision. Both machines seem to be excellent espresso makers though.
Not worried about any French connection as the Techno looks extremely well built. René, the guy from http://www.justespresso.com/ , seems genuinely helpful in his e-mails.
Read HVs review as you suggested (erm ... very,very positive wasn't it) and I've started looking back into the archives as you suggested Michel. There seemed to be a few issues with some of the seals used by Reneka and users seemed to want a 1 degree C step rather than 2 degree. I can only admire a company that agreed a problem existed and took the product off the market until they think they had fixed it, there's some sort of honesty about that. At the same time they have changed the temperature steps to 1 degree intervals in the V2M model so they also listen.
Just a few details to sort out with René and then I will be putting in the order, probably next weekend so it should arrive well before the end of July. When I post my views on this machine remember I have nothing to compare it to as I have never owned an espresso machine of any sort ... mind you I never had a grinder until I bough the mazzer!
Cheers
Robbie
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:22 pm

I stumble in this post as I dont normally read fully the espresso post :oops: but cant help but throw my recomendation in. I have a nvone simoneli Oscar(like all my posts sorry about the spelling). I've used this in a commercial setting for over 12 month and at home and the roastery for a lot longer. The results are perfection and better than any three group machine I've ever used. I wouldnt swap mine for anything. Really worth looking at before the plunge as I know they are relatilvy cheap.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby robbie » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:10 pm

cheers eeffoc but I've set my heart on the techno now so don't think there is any going back. The head (much more sensible but ...) tries but for me the heart wins ...
Just got the postage costs off René so I will complete the order this weekend :D
Well as I said in one of my first posts I'm not an upgrade kind of person, just buy and sit with it (right or wrong).
Robbie
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:19 pm

well, decision made, the order is winging (or should that be worming over the internet) its way to René in New Zealand as I write. No going back now :)
I'll get a review together on it once I have built up a little experience with it. There may be one or two basic questions coming up in the near future as this will be my first machine. Still everyone's got to start somewhere.
Robbie
robbie

Postby michel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:35 pm

I think you've made a wise decision... Good luck with controlling your nerves while waiting for it to arive...
michel

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:29 pm

cheers Michel, must admit I am apprehensive as well as excited about the new arrival. Excited as I love a new challenge but equally it's an expensive brick if I can't get the hang of it. Think I'll avoid the joys of home roasting until I have mastered the basics of espresso ... the more variables there are the harder it gets.
I will have to sort out how to get the money transferred whilst having no access to a bank. I am working away from home during the week at the moment so I think I may need to arrange a day back in the office :wink: this week.
Robbie
robbie

Postby MKSwing » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:43 pm

robbie wrote:well, decision made, the order is winging (or should that be worming over the internet) its way to René in New Zealand as I write. No going back now :)
I'll get a review together on it once I have built up a little experience with it. There may be one or two basic questions coming up in the near future as this will be my first machine. Still everyone's got to start somewhere.
Robbie

Maybe I missed something but you are ordering a french machine from New Zealand while you live in England ??
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso