Cheap La Pavoni

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cheap La Pavoni

Postby quink » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:10 pm

HI Guys, I found this site the other day

http://www.italy-outlet.com

And found the they're selling Pavoni lever machines at stupidly low prices.
I mean the base model Europiccola is going for £212 or 329 euros :shock: the all chrome one is going for £270 with free shipping :shock: :shock:

I'm tempted to get one at these prices, but has anyone ever bought anything from these guys in the past, as this seems a bit to good to be true
quink

Postby phil » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:12 pm

Pro or Europiccola?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby quink » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:13 pm

The prices are for the Europiccola, but they do sell the pro as well.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Re: Cheap La Pavoni

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:26 pm

quink wrote:HI Guys, I found this site the other day

http://www.italy-outlet.com

And found the they're selling Pavoni lever machines at stupidly low prices.
I mean the base model Europiccola is going for £212 or 329 euros :shock: the all chrome one is going for £270 with free shipping :shock: :shock:

I don't know if you ever tried to use one but they're as harder to use as they look gorgeous. It's very difficult if not impossible to get 2 equal shots in a row. Plus, you'll get burned several times as it's just a big boiler on a base.
Well i'm painting all in black but I must say that when you get it right, an espresso shot it just heaven. And if you like capuccinos, it's a perfect machine too, it can produce steam at any time and the frother included makes beautifull capuccini.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby maurice » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:41 pm

There are one or two unhappy customers on alt.coffee who didn't hear anything from "italy-outlet" for a while after placing their orders. Not really clear whether there was a genuine problem here, or the firm was just slow and not very good about responding to emails...

See:http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=italy%20outlet&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&lr=lang_en&num=100&hl=en
maurice

Postby phil » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:58 pm

Personally I'm not a Pavoni fan. I had one (a Pro, not a diddly little Europiccola) from about 1995 up to early last year until I sold it (Oliver if you're reading this how are you getting on anyway?). I never had the "shot from heaven" and I thought its steaming abilities stank quite frankly.

Admittedly my commercial Gaggia cost a lot more than a lever Pavoni even second hand but from an espresso standpoint it was money well spent.

Still each to their own. Michel blows hot and cold about his Elektra. What's your current thinking Michel?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:05 am

phil wrote:Personally I'm not a Pavoni fan. I had one (a Pro, not a diddly little Europiccola) from about 1995 up to early last year until I sold it (Oliver if you're reading this how are you getting on anyway?). I never had the "shot from heaven" and I thought its steaming abilities stank quite frankly.

My Pavoni is from 2002 and it looks like they changed lots of things in 2000. I read the review of coffeegeek which was about your design and they say improvements were coming with the next version of LaPavoni.
What means diddly ?
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby phil » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:31 am

"diddly" = "small" in a pejorative way :D So "diddly little" is a tautology. Sorry. :wink:

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:29 pm

phil wrote:"diddly" = "small" in a pejorative way :D So "diddly little" is a tautology. Sorry. :wink:

Grrrrrrrrrrr :wink:
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby michel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:08 pm

phil wrote:Still each to their own. Michel blows hot and cold about his Elektra. What's your current thinking Michel?

Frankly I'm quite happy with Elektra at the moment. Because my wife decided not to drink coffee anymore (just like her twin sister... :? ) because she thinks she has more energy when not drinking the stuff, while in the mean time not being addicted to something besides her addiction to quit with all addictions of course... :roll:
So a couple of day's ago I transported my ECM Giotto to the bookstore (so I can enjoy good coffee at my work too) and use Elektra at home. And to be honest, when I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee, Elektra does a good job. I dont drink more than two espresso's in a row so the overheating is not a problem anymore...
BTW If one wants to buy a Lever-machine... I would certainly go for an Elektra over a Pavoni (but that's just me, thinking about shot quality - unless a real master is handling the Pavoni it can be matching the Elektra, and even then..-, frothing, and overall durability of the materials used, which are all better on the Elektra). On the other hand an Elektra is much more expensive... (750- euro is the cheapest price I could find on internet, while 950- is the most common price...) So if one wants to go for a Pavoni out of an experiment and because it is cheap... I would advice to buy a second hand which can be found sometimes for less than 100 euro...

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby phil » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:59 pm

You know, once upon a time Michel sent me a wedding photo. Bless! I find myself thinking "Wow, two such lovely Dutch ladies!". I thought one such was a blessing!

Michel - my wife has been through the "I don't want to be addicted to that nasty coffee drug stuff :-(" routine before, (several times actually) but today she just gives me the "bent eye" and says "I haven't had one of your lovely coffees for a while now Phil" (which is a cue for me to get my foaming skills out of the cupboard!).

On the espresso front I really didn't know what I was missing for all those years until I got the Gaggia. I think I need to visit Michel so he can show me what all the fuss is over lever machines, even though I had one for years. One day, eh Michel?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:50 pm

phil wrote:Michel - my wife has been through the "I don't want to be addicted to that nasty coffee drug stuff :-(" routine before, (several times actually) but today she just gives me the "bent eye" and says "I haven't had one of your lovely coffees for a while now Phil" (which is a cue for me to get my foaming skills out of the cupboard!).

So there still is hope... thanks Phil :)

btw, whenever you are in Holland, please pay me a visit... I would feel honoured :!:
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby quink » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:09 pm

after recent events I'm leaning towards one of these now, but I'll start a new thread for that
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby pault » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:41 pm

Hi Quink

did you ever get the Pavoni from Italy-outlet? Came to this thread late but for other people's info ....

I used them for a Pavoni Pro/grinder/chrome stand/knock-box combo. The stuff arrived in good time and although the machine went bonkers and blew up - leaky valve set off the electrics - they refunded the repair at Fairfax engineering (but not the postage) so basically they're reliable/honest

I think the Pavoni is fun to use but not too reliable so I'm sticking it in my office a) to avoid working and b) it does look nice ...

hope that helps ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby cleverdic » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:14 pm

This is the most extraordinary coincidence.

You are talking about Italy-outlet whom I don't know anything about or heard of. However when I went to my E-mail inbox today I have a message from Italy-outlet telling me that this is the new name for Best of Italy. :|

I bought my first real coffee machine, a Gaggia Classic from Best of Italy on 9th June 2000 (I still have the e-mail correspondence). It was the cheapest way to buy Gaggias at that time in the UK. I remember buying the coffee machine first and getting something called Italymiles which then allowed me to buy the Gaggia MDF grinder from Best of Italy at a ridiculously cheap price.
This was my introduction into the world of "real" coffee.

I've no idea at all what service the new website is offering but it certainly brought back memories of receiving and using my first espresso machine.

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Next

Return to Espresso