opening up an espresso...

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

opening up an espresso...

Postby michel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:15 pm

Maybe I'm just waffling... but this evening I've added a little water to an Glenlivit 18 years, and after that a few drops to a Laphroigh CS... and both were better after it (normally I add ice to my whisky's, but the last weeks I've tried to drink pure...).
It's widely known that a whisky can open up after adding a few drops of water... But what about espresso..? I've noticed that when I make an Americano, I get some flavours out of a certain bean, which are unreaveiled when making espresso.
Because it's to late now to make another espresso... Does any of you have ever add a few drops of water to an espresso? And if so, did it open up some flavours not present before adding the water..?

Thanks,
Michel
michel

Postby phil » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:23 pm

Michel, never add ice to malt whisky you heathen! :shock:

A little water to open up the flavours is OK and often essential to get the best out of a malt, as Neku will attest.:D

I'm not surprised that you get different flavours out of an espresso at different concentrations. That seems quite an inuitive result. I guess it depends what you're looking for in your drink

Phil (who is currently turning to the really light side with his new vac pot :wink:)
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:26 am

Phil, without wanting to get too much of topic..., I am still convinced that a cooled whisky tastes better (especially the Islay ones...). It's my palat which likes the cold drink to touch my tongue, and then open up when warmed inside my mouth.

Michel
(heathen on the rocks)
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:40 am

I;ve got to agree with Michel. I am by no means an expert but I too like the cold turning into warm feel on the tounge. :P
Steve
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:33 pm

A separate glass of water is a nice thing together with whisky and espresso.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:46 pm

If whisky drinking is to be a tactile experience then you may have your ice, but save your money and don't bother buying anything really decent.

I quote from Pip Hills, one of the founders of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society:
Malt whiskies and blended whiskies are usually treated rather differently; blends being taken with ice and mixers. This distinction has become something of an orthodoxy, though it is worth mentioning that in the Scotland in which I grew up all the men (and most of the women) drank blended whisky with only a little water. Ice, soda, ginger and stuff like that was for nobs and foreigners. When I drink I mix it with whatever will make it palatable. Cheap in blended whiskies as in malts doesn’t necessarily mean nasty, just as dear isn’t always good. Blended whisky is much better than it used to be and I think a lot of the better blends are best taken with only a drop of water. But if you like the stuff with pineapple juice, fine. I have drunk Bell’s with diesel oil, though I have to say I prefer it without.

The same goes for malt, but you lose a lot of the quality—and therefore the interest—if you mix it with anything other than water. Ice kills it and mixers mask the more subtle flavours, so if you wish the sensual to be augmented by the intellectual, you should take your dram with a little water. Make sure it’s decent water, though. Most water tastes, so before you have any with your malt, taste the stuff. If you don’t have good water on tap, buy bottled—but taste that as well, for some of the bottled waters are lousy. And don’t use sparkling water; fizz is for infants and the gas produces carbonic acid, which is fine for lemonade and champagne, but not for seriously good liquor.

So call me a snob if you like :D

Phil (who doesn't put ice in his malt or milk in his coffee)
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby EricC » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:36 am

WooHoo, Whisky.
I knew this was a good group to join. :D
He who has 6 different single malts open at the moment. :)
Plus a couple of blends. :oops: But you have to have something in for non believers.
EricC

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:31 pm

You really are a snob phil :twisted: (well you said I could)

So any one who has milk in there coffee should save there money and not buy anything decent (sorry I'm in the mood to argue my back is still hurting like you could never guess) :evil: 1 principle for another principle.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:07 pm

Phil. Milkdrinks can be very, extremely good/interesting/enjoyable... imho at least...
But you are right about the ice... I knew/experienced that already, and am educating myselve to drink my expensive bottles without it... Tonight I've nipped some Lagavulin 16, Coal Ila 12 and Springbank 10... And you know what: They are better without ice!
But. Sometimes (especially on a saturday night, when I'm at home and planning to drink a few drams) the first dram (doesn't matter which one) is just to heavy, to confronting... So I add ice! And I love it... The smooth explosion of aroma's in my mouth, the gentle approach...

But (especially Phil) what do you think of this: I am a home vatter, which means I'm vatting at home (only single malts) whisky in my tumbler...
And although I don't use my favourite whisky's for it, most of my whisky's have been vatted at least once.

More info on 'home vatting' (there is not much available on the internet - in fact I'm planning to write a book about it, because I find it so refreshing, such a welcome addition to the joy's of whisky, so comparable with homeroasting and making your own blends... That I think more people should do it...) I was writing: More info is to be found:
http://www.celticmalts.com/journal-c2.htm
http://www.peatfreak.com/art-HomeVatting.php

Michel
(who will be the proud owner of a bottle of Nikka Yoichi tomorrow :D )
michel

Postby alans » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:13 pm

Never even heard of home Vatting! Does anyone else here do this? I don't drink much Whisky at the moment, I'm a bit seasonal I think ;) But when I do it's stratight or with water, ice only if I don't want to taste it!
alans

Return to Espresso