Coffee at work

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee at work

Postby moccafaux » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:51 am

We have a coffeemachine at work and the boss provides the coffee.
But I had filtered coffee anyway, the one at works really sucks (ok, never look at gifthorse...etc, but still) tastewise and makes me pee like the Niagara Falls.
Getting an espresso etc at the cafe next door is no alternative, because it is both expensive and not good enough. Putting one of my Gaggias in the kitchen here would mean desaster, because noone will take care of it.
So I have to spend my workingday without "dope".
Phils thread on americanos gave me some ideas, but a colleague brought the solution.
He put a big spoonful of the available ground coffee together with a bit sugar in a mug and added boiling water. after a couple of minutes the grounds were at the ground and the brew ready to drink.
Of course a far cry from a real mocca, but much much better than what I was used to at work.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby alans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:21 pm

I stick to one cup filtres but Ciara loves a small press pot, I guess your solution is the same but with out the Press! Perhaps you need something like this: Image
It's an insulated mug with a french press built in.
alans

Postby phil » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:28 pm

Mmmm .... doesn't the coffee keep brewing in there? If so it must turn nasty fairly quickly.

<Sigh of jealousy that other people are actually allowed to make their own drinks in the office .....> :cry:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:53 pm

Yeah, that was my though with these things, but you do press all the grounds down the same as a normal press pot, so there should be no water movement.... But I wasn't convinved enough to buy one ;)
alans

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Someone is making a new cafetiere that lifts the grounds out of the coffee using the plunger, preventing any excess brewing. I think it is company called Tirra or something.
So obvious, I don't know why it hasn't been done much before...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby alans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:31 pm

I've seen these in Dublin (assuming it's the same one), there's a clip on the bottom of the filter that connects to a cup in the base of the cafetiere. But the instruction on it said it was for easy disposal of the used grounds and I'm not sure you'd be able to pull it out while there's still liquid in it.

Web search turned up this one: http://www.livingincomfort.com/smfrprcl8sc.html
It's the type I've seen, is that what you were thinking of?
alans

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:36 pm

http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Raf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:50 pm

Isn't that thermos french press made to transport your hot water + coffee grounds separately, and add the coffee grounds at the moment you want to drink the coffee? Or am I missing something?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby alans » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:36 pm

That one's a lot more interesting than what I saw, I wonder how well it works....

I always assumed you just throw the coffee and water (and milk and sugar) in and plunge before you want to drink but I've never used oneso perhaps just keeping the water hot and then adding the grounds would be a better idea.
alans

Postby moccafaux » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:44 pm

phil wrote:Mmmm .... doesn't the coffee keep brewing in there? If so it must turn nasty fairly quickly.

<Sigh of jealousy that other people are actually allowed to make their own drinks in the office .....> :cry:

On the other hand, you can harrass us hee at the forum to your hearts delight! :wink:
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:00 pm

The Tirra is a La Cafetiere product and it's only just arrived in the UK (about a month or so ago). I had one from the rep before Christmas (first in the UK :-) ) but alas was not impressed - a bit too finicky :( sorry to go off topic
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Espresso