Huge, with a strange ritual...

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Huge, with a strange ritual...

Postby michel » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:17 pm

Went with my eldest daughter to the Chinese around the corner this evening, to get something to eat. While waiting for my 'take-away' I drank a beer and watched the little chinese-woman working their buds of... (I thought I worked hard for my money :oops: ). While my daughter was fascinated by the aquarium, I suddenly saw IT. It was huge, very HUGE. It was in fact so big that I winked my eyes..., took my glasses of, rubbed my eyes, put my glases back on and had another look.
I new my Innova grinder was little compared with professional grinders. But this beast was out of any proportion... It was at least 70/80 cm high, while the base was so enormous, that it looked as if Innova (including bean-reservoir) should easily fit in two times (height of Innova is 40,07 cm). The depth of this monster was at least 45 cm, so this thing impressed me, and I imagened her next to Giotto... making Giotto a bit of a joke :?
Luckely there was an espresso to be made... I thought at least. One of the fragile woman picked up the portafiller, filled it (unfortunately she didn't grind as there was enough in the doser), hold it under some sort of lever attached to the grinder, and tamped the grinds as pushing down this 'again' huge lever... Then she twisted the portafiller in its place and took a cappucino-cup... Oke, I made a mistake. She is going to make a cappa. But then the strange ritual began: She did some milk in the cappucino-cup and frothed it in the cup, without spilling any milk, while the texture of the result looked absolutely fabulous.
Then my number was called and I had to go to the other counter to pick up my food, but while going away, and looking over my shoulder... I saw her pulling a shot just over the frothed milk... and as far as I could see it, it looked great!

So, I have two questions... As I've never seen a grinder this big (and I thought I had seen a lot of grinders in café's...), are these normal sizes, perhaps outside Holland..?
And has any of you seen a cappa made in this way..? Without spilling, and with good foam..?
michel

Postby gruff » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:25 pm

Now that's a Chinese takeaway Michel! One where you can get beer and espresso while you wait :)
gruff

Return to Espresso