steampressure-espressomachines?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

steampressure-espressomachines?

Postby michel » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:43 pm

I always thought that there were 3 types of pressure in contemporary espressomachines: 'spring'-lever, vibe-pump, rotary-pump. Today I hear from a friend, who visited a dealer that a lot of professional-machines are actually steampressure-machines (where the steam provides the pressure to make water go through the coffee). I told my friend that this method was used only in the beginning of espresso-history... but he has big faith in the dealer... and won't believe me...
He says that the pressure-boiler was not integrated in the machine, but located under the machine...

Any of you any thoughts about this?
thanks,
Michel
Last edited by michel on Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel

Postby quink » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:10 pm

Isn't this the way the small espresso machines for home, used to work about 10 years ago? I mean the ones with the small carafe with the marks on them for 2 and four cups and a seperate line for steam? I had one once, when I was young and nieve.
quink

Postby phil » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:22 pm

quink wrote:Isn't this the way the small espresso machines for home, used to work about 10 years ago?

Still do
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:34 pm

We had one of those: a Krups. You had to pour the water directly into the boiler and then screw an airtight lid on it (they warned against opening the lid too soon after making "espresso" and having the lid blow through the ceiling). Made horrible coffee - a sort of mud - especially with plain old Douwe Egberts.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby quink » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:37 pm

Still do

Really? :? I thought that newer pump machines used the pump to take water from the reservoir and then through the heating element to the group head. The old ones I mentioned were the ones with sealed boilers and the giant caps that had to be screwed down, then you turned it on and waited for the pressure to build and espresso to come out the other end. Or am I way off?
quink

Postby kingseven » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:31 am

You do still get the odd pressure machine for home but they are quite rare, the main problem being the amount of steam it can give for foaming. These days vibe pumps are so cheap there's no point not putting one in.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby gruff » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:46 am

I had one of the pressure ones (Morphy Richards). In fact I've still got it somewhere. I agree with Neku. It made truly awful coffee, coupled with the fact that I used to become increasingly nervous as the pressure built up inside what was essentialy a toy. By the time the "coffee" was produced I was a nervous wreck!
gruff

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:02 pm

I had one too... Mine brewed the coffee into a glass container like the ones that come with a drip filter machine.
No crema, terrible coffee.

It still had heaps of steam after the brew tho...
Danny

Postby Raf » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:15 pm

MrFollies wrote:I had one too... Mine brewed the coffee into a glass container like the ones that come with a drip filter machine.

Yeah! I forgot about that. It looked a bit like a glass brikka with a plastic lid on it (with a hole in the lid for the 'spout' of the 'portafilter').
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:10 pm

That's the one :)
I think my mum has it still...
Danny

Postby EricC » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:02 pm

I gave one of these away to a friend a few months ago.
It was a Krups and there were warnings all over it about letting it cool down before removing the filler lid. :shock:
EricC

Postby quink » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:29 pm

I do remember blowing the top off one of these once. Where I was living at the time we did get a lot of scale, so I assume that it got too clogged to work any more (no great loss, it was crap) I turnd my back for a moment, there was a loud crack, when I turned around the lid from the boiler was on the floor and steam was pouring out of the boiler :shock:. I was kind of amazed at this as there was supposed to be a presure valve built in to the cap. Not long after that I bought a pump machine which I still use now.
quink

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:19 pm

Michel, I am almost convinced that today's professional machines all have rotary pumps and not steam-pressure. Nothing to back that up though.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Espresso