Urgent help needed with Americanos please

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Urgent help needed with Americanos please

Postby phil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:57 am

I'm wondering if one of our coffee preparation professionals can help me with this one. In fact if this thread yields what I'm hoping for then I may well turn the content into a "How To" for the site. But that's getting ahead of myself.

At home I drink either espresso or french press. I have a Cona and one day I'll use it again, but for the moment those two preparation methods suffice for my needs.

However, sometimes I need to make Americanos. Why is the subject of a whole new thread - although some of the longer-term members will know why.

When I make Americanos, I use coffee that is roasted for brewing rather than espresso. The received wisdom from the Americano kings and queens on the Sweet Maria's list is that that is the thing to do. In fact there has been a lot of discussion where people have said that they believe that making Americanos is a superior form of extraction to any brewed method, resulting in the extraction of more flavour.

Nonetheless, when I brew an Americano, the result is totally nondescript. Today for example I brewed an Americano with some lovely Kenya Kariru. It was roasted past first crack but well shy of second. Brewed, the result is gorgeous - a creamy, blackcurranty flavour that is outstanding. As an Americano, the bean is just murdered. It tastes of very little, actually. As an experiment I gave one to my daughter this morning (she's quite a coffee lover too) and she said "Dad, is this instant?".

I nearly wept. :cry:

However, this is consistent with my general experience of Americanos. It doesn't matter what I make them with, they don't taste of much.

What am I doing wrong?

If Jim, Trevor, maybe Carolyn or in fact anyone who has useful experience in this area could respond with some constructive advice I'd be incredibly pleased.

Phil.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:24 pm

The way I was taught to make Americano - and I don't know how this compares with everyone else - is to put about 2 or 3 fl.oz of hot water from the boiler into the cup (to let it cool enough so as not to burn the coffee) and then to brew my espresso into that. That way you preserve the crema, and don't damage the coffee with overhot water - as you see all too often in bars where they put an espresso in a cup and fill up with water straight from the boiler, smashing the best bit of the coffee.

How are you making them Phil?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Raf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:42 pm

I think Phil is talking about a directly extracted Americano, that means: where you add no water after you pull the shot. I believe HV is somewhat of an expert on this - and he even promised me an article on it for TMC - but he seems to have disappeared.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:47 pm

Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but I see a chance for my own education.

With this method of extraction wouldn't it be necessary to alter the temperature of the machine quite a lot? I know that a mellower roast will give itself up slower than a darker roast, allowing greater quantities of liquid to be taken from the coffee (my own personal experience of this only extends as far as drinking a lot of coffee in Spain where this method is used). As far as I recall, the machines are usually set at a lower temperature.

Do please please correct me if I am wrong

kingseven

Postby cleverdic » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Co-incidently, I have just started to make Americanos the same way; by putting the hot water in first and then brewing the espresso right over the top. I have noticed an immediate improvement from doing it the other way around. Apart from the idea of forming a better crema, I wish I knew why the taste is much more rounded.

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby phil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:58 pm

No Neku I'm not. I'm on my "coffee for the office" bandwagon again. I'm talking about adding hot water to conventional espresso. There or thereabouts anyway.

When I made an Americano this morning I deliberately pulled the water into a jug and then added it to the shot, to try and guard against scalding the coffee.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:07 pm

I think that there may have been a hint in something Jim just said. Basically he's saying that a slower, longer extraction is required to get the flavouring elements in a lighter coffee? Have I understood you correctly?

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:43 pm

May I ask, a bit heretically maybe, what is the good thing in watering a good espresso?
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:59 pm

May I ask, a bit heretically maybe, what is the good thing in watering a good espresso?

Well, for some people it a matter of prolonging the drink. For others espresso is just too strong (hence the name the Italians gave the drink).

My first thought on this is that you still need a proper strong shot of espresso for an Americano. With that lighter roast you are only going to pull a portion of the flavours in the coffee into the drink, because you need more than the 1fl. oz. to do this with filter coffees. Like Neku said - these blends work better for a longer extraction in the machine, creating a longer drink without adding fresh hot water.

The problem I had with pouring water in after is an aesthetic one, it just doesn't look as good, and with the crema covering less of the coffee you don't get a complete taste when you take a mouthful.

kingseven

Postby michel » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:20 pm

For what it's worth: In my experience (or to be more accurate: my wife's experience), to make a rich tasting americano... I need 'second-crack' roasted beens preferably a mix of Indonesian (Sumatra/Sulawesi or Papua are all great) with an African bean (doesn't matter much which one... although I like the Harrar best...).
Central American coffee's (as I tend to roast them lighter - till just before second-crack) seem to be not strong/full enough to make an interesting americano.
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby phil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:10 pm

OK it's like this.

(I may move this onto a new thread - I'll see how it pans out).

For preference, I'd just stick to ristrettos, and brewed coffee for lighter roasts (a big fave with me). However, I have a problem. I like to drink 3-4 cups a day at work as well, and there I am not permitted to make my own coffee. The only options are nasty instant from a machine or almost equally nasty Charbucks from across the road.

I tried taking brewed coffee to the office in a flask. The result was truly horrid - the coffee continues to brew because it's hot. I have a two hour journey to work. By the time I got there the coffee which was so nice when I'd brewed it was thoroughly nasty and undrinkable.

Someone on the Sweet Maria's list pointed out that because the coffee was hot the brewing reactions were continuing. They suggested chilling it immediately after brewing. I tried this for a while, but I wasn't really happy drinking cold coffee (and there's no microwave in the office either - ****ing Health & Safety!!).

It then occured to me that taking chilled espresso shots and making them up as Americanos with hot water from the vending machine was an option. This approach basically works. However the result is fairly bland. At first I thought it was degradation of the espresso shots (which to an extent may be the case anyway) but for the most part a totally fresh Americano made with the same bean tastes just as bland.

Following on from that, there was a thread about making Americanos on the SM list just recently. One of the top guys was saying that he only makes Americanos from the beans he uses for brewed coffees. So I tried it. The result is reported above. Summats an' nowt, as they say back home.

So I started this thread. Here I am, with a 2 group TD and a Hottop at home (and hopefully a Mazzer soon too if one of my nice trade contacts actually sources one for me!) - but I'm forced to drink instant during the day, 4-5 days a week. Really bad news.

The resolution to my problem appears to lie in finding out how to brew an Americano worth drinking. So I started this thread.

Recommendations for a bean/blend and roast to choose for this purpose, please?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:20 pm

Man I bet your work collegues think you are a bigger freak than mine think of me. :)
I'll watch this thread carefully... At work I stick to hot chocs or tea to save myself the dreaded insta-blauh from the machine with a picture of a near perfect latte on it.
Danny

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:59 pm

Phil you did what with Kariu!!!!!!!!! Americano <begins to weep> what a waste of good kenya.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby alans » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:40 pm

So let me get this straight Phil, the guy with 10 one cup swiss golds doesn't know how to get good coffee at work :?
alans

Postby phil » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:17 pm

Alan

Without the option to use a kettle (not allowed) to get water that is hot enough to brew coffee with, the one cup filters are a waste of time. I tried it with the hot water from the vending machine. Only once though! :(

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Espresso