Mini Isomac Rituale review

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:49 am

AH, OK yep, me being a twit :oops:

In that case I reckon there must be some sort of restriction in the Isomac Rituale, there is so much more steam power from the Silvia.

We did notice that with the steam valve fully open, the boiler pressure would drop, then easily recover, which would indicate a restriction.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Davec » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:54 pm

simonp wrote:In that case I reckon there must be some sort of restriction in the Isomac Rituale, there is so much more steam power from the Silvia.

We did notice that with the steam valve fully open, the boiler pressure would drop, then easily recover, which would indicate a restriction.

Not really sure, will be reviewing a Millennium in a week or so, so will probably find out then. I would imagine the water level in the boiler and size of boiler may have an effect. Also how large the deadband on the pressurestat. I reviewed an HX machine a couple of weeks ago, had a really tiny deadband on the pressurestat, held pressure within 0.01 bar of the selected pressure which was quite impressive. So as soon as you drew steam, the thing would fire up the element. It was an incredibly good steamer, right through the pressure range of domestic thru to commercial settings. It is a considerably cheaper machine than the Isomac, but by the sounds of it may have given better steam performance?, we shall see.
Davec

Mini Isomac Rituale review

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:45 am

simonp wrote:In that case I reckon there must be some sort of restriction in the Isomac Rituale, there is so much more steam power from the Silvia.

Hold on there a sec. - I've missed the previous discussion but the steam stat in a Silvia is 140C, that's from memory so feel free to correct if that's wrong.

From http://www.efunda.com/materials/water/s ... le_sat.cfm that gives a pressure of 3.61 bar (abs.) or approx 2.6 bar gauge.

So, to get a HX boiler up to the same pressure as a Silvia in steam mode, you'd need to see 2.6 bar on the gauge.

HTH

Cheers
Ian

Postby simonp » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:18 pm

I steam at around 260F, which is approx 127C. but that is measuring some way down the boiler, so it may be higher at the top where the thermostat is. I have a 150C thermostat fitted, but I find that if I let it go the top temperature the steam power is too much for 200ml of milk.

Given my temp and pressure should be similar to an HX machine, I expected similar results.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Sorry, not being clear there. What am saying is that I am not running the Silvia at full pressure, so not using all the steam power and running at a similar boiler pressure, but was still getting much more grunt that the Rituale I was using.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:21 am

I'm resurrecting this thread after speakinh to Phil at the weekend, and it seems that the general opinion I gave of this machine was that I didn't like it.
I thought I ought to correct this view, as in fact I DID like it.
It is a very pretty machine, which produced some wonderfull espresso, and is very easy to use. My only complaint was with the steaming, which seemed weak to me coming from the Silvia, which, it seems, is actually a powerfull steamer, which I hadn't realised. It also seems after some digging, that the tip may be quite restrictive, so bigger holes (and ones that point straight down) would probably suit the technique I have learned better.

Anyway, just thought I should put the record straight if it seemed I didn't like it :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Davec » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am

:wink:
Davec

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:35 pm

The thread read to me as though you enjoyed the espresso but were wrestling somewhat with the different (to your Silvia) steaming set-up.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:00 pm

CakeBoy wrote:The thread read to me as though you enjoyed the espresso but were wrestling somewhat with the different (to your Silvia) steaming set-up.

Yep, absolutely. It would be interesting to try the espresso using the Mazzer, if the improvement on the Silvia is anything to go by it should be superb.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:39 pm

That would be an interesting experiment. So Simon, the mazzer has made that big a difference to the quality of your espresso over the Rocky then? Is it overall or specifics, i.e. mouthfeel/body, crema and so on?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:30 pm

Playing devils advocate here... same as MattS in the gas roaster discussion... unless the burrs are the same age/seen the same amount of use then I don't think you can judge the reative merits.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby steves » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:56 pm

I think it would be useful to compare the machine Simon used with the full-size Isomac Rituale ;)
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:53 am

gouezeri wrote:Playing devils advocate here... same as MattS in the gas roaster discussion... unless the burrs are the same age/seen the same amount of use then I don't think you can judge the reative merits.
D

Actually they are about the same age, and seen similar use (so I was told) so I think the comparison is not totally without merrit. The Rocky burrs were certainly in excellent condition being about a year old, grinding about 60g of coffee a day. I think I can reasonably say the difference is real.

The main difference I have noticed is that the shots are able to run more volume before any "blonding" occurrs. The Rocky never gave shots this long even with brand new burrs. The crema is darker, and more dense, giving a thicker mouthfeel.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:53 am

gouezeri wrote:Playing devils advocate here... same as MattS in the gas roaster discussion... unless the burrs are the same age/seen the same amount of use then I don't think you can judge the reative merits.
D

Actually they are about the same age, and seen similar use (so I was told) so I think the comparison is not totally without merrit. The Rocky burrs were certainly in excellent condition being about a year old, grinding about 60g of coffee a day. I think I can reasonably say the difference is real.

The main difference I have noticed is that the shots are able to run more volume before any "blonding" occurrs. The Rocky never gave shots this long even with brand new burrs. The crema is darker, and more dense, giving a thicker mouthfeel.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 am

simonp wrote:The main difference I have noticed is that the shots are able to run more volume before any "blonding" occurrs. The Rocky never gave shots this long even with brand new burrs. The crema is darker, and more dense, giving a thicker mouthfeel.

On a much smaller scale, I have found very similar differences between the Spidem and Audrey/Tranquilo combo. Clearly nothing the combo makes will be anything near the standard of your set-up, but it does highlight the potential for this type of difference to become apparent. I suppose we should not be surprised as we all know a superauto cannot produce the same result as a half decent manual set-up, so it follows that a really decent grinder will improve the end product over using a very good grinder.

Simon, have you any pics showing the depth and colour of the crema etc? I find that very interesting because using the same beans in both my quite blond Spidem crema has recently turned very terracotta in colour and thick with the combo set-up. I intend to take comparison shots and pics of the replacement Tranquilo once all is up and running properly.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso