Mini Isomac Rituale review

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:31 am

Simon, have you any pics showing the depth and colour of the crema etc?

Not yet, I am awaiting delivery of a nice shiny digital SLR camera (if they manage to send it to the right adddress this time, yep delivery troubles AGAIN :evil: ), so will try and take some soon.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:17 am

Pah!
Silver all the way... :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:50 am

I also have my film SLR too, which I shall still use for certain applications.
Plus we still have Jess' old Canon AE1, which is as sturdy as a brick, and gets excellent shots on Fuji Velvia with the F1.2 50mm lens on it. Bloody heavy though!
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:24 pm

excellent, the ae1 is a great old camera, and if anyone tries to nick it just whack em round the head. Digital cameras for me are like superautomatics (on the whole). They have their place, but I just don't find them fun to use and I can get better results from my film cameras. At the end of the day, they're only tools, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy using them! ;-)
And you've not seen heavy till you've played with my P67 or a Mamiya RB/RZ 67 ;-)
Gouezeri

Postby phil » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:35 pm

Hmm, my old Nikon FE and bag with a 200, 135, 35 and 50-70 zoom manages to be quite a weight too.

Not used it for a long time though. :oops:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:49 pm

great camera the FE, and that's not just cos I've got one ;-)
Even if you don't really use it, get it out from time to time and give it a quick going over, just to keep the linkages and contacts clean. the only other thing you've got to be careful of is the foam (mirror box mainly but all general light seals can be a prob) going "gunky" as it deteriorates... I can tell you how to change that and can supply foam. Oh and btw, you need a 24mm 2.8 to finish off your set ;-)

Last time I checked, my camera rucksack weighed 15kg which is just the basic gear I carry when going out. Unfortunately, carrying a rucksack and big cameras round london is not a good idea anymore and then you get chased by security guards as soon as they see a tripod :roll:
D
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:11 pm

gouezeri wrote:Digital cameras for me are like superautomatics (on the whole). They have their place, but I just don't find them fun to use and I can get better results from my film cameras.

I think that was the case, but is changing. The top pro level ones are now at 16.7 megapixels full-frame 35mm CCDs, which is pretty much the equivalent to the grain size IS0 100 transparency film I believe. Quite a few pros use them now as they allow quick exposure checking using the graph thingy (the name of which escapes me :roll: )
It will be a while before medium format is challenged though.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:55 pm

simonp wrote:
Simon, have you any pics showing the depth and colour of the crema etc?

Not yet, I am awaiting delivery of a nice shiny digital SLR camera (if they manage to send it to the right adddress this time, yep delivery troubles AGAIN :evil: ), so will try and take some soon.

Ah delivery men. I still have the old Tranquilo here because the delivery driver said the pick-up was not on his paperwork. The vendor had asked me to ensure that the driver took it but he refused. The vendor has just called the delivery firm and been told it WAS on the paperwork and they cannot understand why it was not collected.

My beans were posted through a neighbours door two weeks ago my the postie as well. Gotta love it!

Hope your camera arrives soon.

AND, you lot are such camera heads. Just don't travel to Greece on holiday together :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:51 pm

CakeBoy wrote:AND, you lot are such camera heads. Just don't travel to Greece on holiday together :lol:

Guilty as charged.

simonp wrote:I think that was the case, but is changing.

purely aesthetics, but I just don't like the feel, which is the point I was making above... I like my cameras to be fully manual (but then I'm not shooting sports).
The top pro level ones are now at 16.7 megapixels full-frame 35mm CCDs, which is pretty much the equivalent to the grain size IS0 100 transparency film I believe.

as I'm sure you know, direct comparisons between analogue and digital is always tricky, at best. Digital has distinct advantages, generally I prefer the look of film though (less plasticky). As to the number of megapixels/resolution, that's a real quagmire of a discussion, which I'm not sure has been argued convincingly either way yet... it'll be a while before a digital camera will be able to match the quality of 6x7 at under a thousand pounds, so I'm holding on to my MF gear.
Quite a few pros use them now as they allow quick exposure checking using the graph thingy (the name of which escapes me :roll: )

yeah, histograms are definitely useful, but using a spot meter gives me the same information and allows me to make the decisions, not the camera.
I'm definitely into digital darkrooms though.
D
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:02 pm

The reason I went for the digital SLR I did, is the controls are pretty much the same as on my film SLR. You have all the usual useless auto modes, plus aperture priority, exposure priority, and fully manual.Plus it feels like any other SLR (although a bit smaller than ideal for me).
There is the loss of anticipation of getting the pictures developed. Although I have got fed up of viewing tiny slide pics as our viewer is sh*t, and we never got around to getting a projector. I do love the colour on slide though, I got some wonderfull reds from a sunset on Velvia 8) .

The camera has been delivered by the way :D . However the sofa and chair also being delivered today came without the chair :twisted: :twisted: . They're coming back Sunday at 8:00AM allegedly :evil:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:41 pm

christmas come early?
So you going to put the Mazzer and Isomac on the sofa and take pictures of it....?
"Pout more. Give me sexy. Purrr. Now growl... And relax. Excellent Ducky"
;-)
Oh, and what is the camera? D70? 350d? 5d? Hasselblad H2 and back? ;-)
And if anyone has more money than sense for christmas, there's always this:
http://shrunk.net/880d1ac6
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:58 pm

gouezeri wrote:christmas come early?
So you going to put the Mazzer and Isomac on the sofa and take pictures of it....?
"Pout more. Give me sexy. Purrr. Now growl... And relax. Excellent Ducky"
;-)
Oh, and what is the camera? D70? 350d? 5d? Hasselblad H2 and back? ;-)
And if anyone has more money than sense for christmas, there's always this:
http://shrunk.net/880d1ac6

Lots of overtime, and pay for holiday I'm not allowed to take. That and redundancy money coming soon.

I did rather follow the crowd and got a 350D, but £100 cashback for paying by Mastercard was just too tempting. All my existing lenses will work with it although I did go for the kit with the 18-55mm to give me the same range as my 28-90mm one onthe film camera. Not fantastic quality lenses, but do the job. Can't afford the Canon "L" lenses :shock:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:19 pm

The 350d is definitely a step up from the 300. Personally, I prefer the D70, comparatively (pixel count isn't everything). However, if you've already got some lenses to use with it, then the choice was obvious. For what most people want, they are both great cameras, capable of good results.
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:30 pm

Really fancied a 5D, full 35mm sensor and all. £2500 just too much!

I'm sure I could get Miss Silvia to pose for the camera, in fact I had her top off last night, grrrrrrrr :wink:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby steves » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:04 pm

Simon, you seem to have hijacked your own thread :) Congrats on the Canon - you'll have to show me what it can do. Suspected you might prefer the D70, Dom, Nikon Nut that you are ;)
gouezeri wrote:it'll be a while before a digital camera will be able to match the quality of 6x7 at under a thousand pounds

Yes. I'm biding my time - something like a 5D at that price would be tempting though. Can't be too long before that happens. I'm with you on the film thing, though I'd say the same about darkrooms. All this camera talk... Think I'll buy a TLR this weekend to have a play with, but which one. A Lubitel? ;)
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso