Mini Isomac Rituale review

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mini Isomac Rituale review

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 pm

I have been using the borrowed Isomac Rituale for 10 days now, so thought I'd post my thoughts/mini review.

The machine is bigger than I expected, well it is deeper anyway, quite a beast compared to my small worktops, hence it is living on the kitchen/dining table.
It is quite a beuty, Jess thinks it looks like the controls for a steam engine :lol: . I love the shiny chrome, and the E61 group is a work of art in my opinion.

The drip tray is nice and deep, although you do need this given the water flushing you have to do ith a heat exchanger machine to cool the group before puling a shot.
I like the handle operation to start the shot, this closes the 3-way valve (no solenoid) and activates the pump.
The water tank is large enough to not need filling too often, but you have to remove the top cover, which is also the cup warming tray, to get to it. Also under this cover is access to the pressurestat fro adjusting the boiler pressure, and hence temperature.

There is a nice big hot water dipenser tube, and a 2-hole steam wamd.

On to performance:
The first thing I will mention is how easy it is to get a good quality espresso from this machine, I have not had a poor one yet. The E61 group seems very forgiving of dosing and tamp and channeling seems to occur much less, even if I am sloppy in my routine. The Silvia will punnish any poor dose or tamp with a pale thin espresso.
The flushing of water through to cool the group does take some gettinh used to, and needs practice to maintain the same brew temperature.
I did run a couple of shots with the thermocouple poking out of the puck, and I saw a very small change in temp during the shot, 1C max change, which is really good.
The espresso taste is a step up fromthe Silvia: thicker, sweeter, and more syruppy, and the crema is denser, and almost always mottled. There is a smoothness and depth that I just can't coax from the Silvia. It is a subtle difference, but there nonetheless.

On to the less successfull side, steaming milk:
Overall I am not that impressed, getting good microfoam is hard work, and I have only really managed it once in about 13 attempts. I am used to a 1-hole tip and lots of steam pressure, and the Rituale seems weak by comparison.
I found it very hard to incorporate air wthought gig bubbles forming, and ther is no chance of getting the milk to churn, so little chance to mix the foam and milk together. Also the heating is curiously slow, about 50 seconds to heat the milk for 1 cappuccino! I tried a bigger pitcher, but that was no better, and really slow.
I must admit I was dissapointed with this side of an HX machine. It is nice not have to wait for the boiler to heat up to steaming point, but the poor performance offsets this.

All in all, great espresso, so-so steaming.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:58 am

Excellent review Simon - more fuel for my upgrade fever though :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:50 am

Simonp wrote
All in all, great espresso, so-so steaming.

The performance seems very similar to my Isomac Zaffiro, awesome espresso, so-so steaming and great E61 looks. You can get good foam, but it takes loadsa practice. I only do milk drinks if I'm getting visitors and I get some Cravendale milk in - that helps. I chose the Zaf over the Rituale cos' it's smaller and you don't have the fiddle of the HX group flush.
The Zaff seems to be the weapon of choice for PID-buffs, but I'll prob wait till someone brings out a twin boiler, with Brewtus looks, in Europe.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby simonp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 am

I had presumed that the Zaff would be good at steaming as not being HX you can raixse the boiler temp higher to get good steam pressure. Can you get the milk to churn with the Zaff?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby wang » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58 am

Maybe it has a slow steam tip. I've read on CG about people with narrow bore tips having slow steam performance, and when they change to something with a larger bore hole and/or more holes performance is raised substantially.
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby simonp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:20 am

You could be right, a lot of other HX machines I have seen reviewed have a much faster steaming time.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:28 pm

simonp wrote
I had presumed that the Zaff would be good at steaming as not being HX you can raixse the boiler temp higher to get good steam pressure. Can you get the milk to churn with the Zaff?

You can only adjust the brew stat on the Zaff. I can get reasonable micro with it, but it does demand practice, ie when I get visitors, in fact, some prefer milk/glucose/coffeemate.
It will churn, but I only use a small 10 fl oz stainless jug.
Q.C.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby simonp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm

It will churn, but I only use a small 10 fl oz stainless jug.

Me too, but I could get no churn if I lowered the tip.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby matts » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:19 pm

wang wrote:Maybe it has a slow steam tip. I've read on CG about people with narrow bore tips having slow steam performance, and when they change to something with a larger bore hole and/or more holes performance is raised substantially.

Why don't you take the tip off altogether Si and see what happens, even if just to see the steam come out and not do milk.

There's just something very odd about this, there's no way a machine with a 1.4l boiler should be a pathetic steamer...

Matt
matts

Postby aloening » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 pm

Is the Rituale not the same as the Tea inside?. As posted in another thread I revoluntionised the foaming of the Tea by modifying the steam tip to one hole. Does not seems slow at all to me - I have 1.25bar pressure when steaming - perhaps you have a lower temperture/pressure?.

Adrian
Adrian Loening
aloening

Postby simonp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:55 pm

I tried the one hole thing, and I got fed up waiting for the milk to warm up, it took AGES.

We took off the tip tonight, and this makes the boiler pressure drop to below 1 bar. With the tip on the element is able to keep the boiler at around 1.3 bar. Even SteveS (whose machine it is) struggled to get what I would call good microfoam. I tried the Silvia for the first time for over a week (now with new steam valve seal), and I nearly blew the milk out of the pitcher!! I reckon it steamed in 2/3 of the time or less.

Matt, how would you compare your Elektra in steaming to the Silvia? I'm wondering if I have just been spoilt with the strong steam from this.

I did look at a review of the Zaffiro, and that mentioned waiting for the boiler pressure to get to 3.7 bar before steaming, this is 3 times what an HX boiler will be at, perhaps this explains why the steam is comparatively weak.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby aloening » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Quick look at my steam tables says 3.7 bar is about 140C temperature. But the Tea operates at maximum 1.5 bar (drops to about 1.25bar with the steam valve open) at that is 106C. Seems like something is wrong - unless making foam is very independant of the temperature of the steam and I doubt that.
Adrian Loening
aloening

Postby matts » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:38 am

simonp wrote:Matt, how would you compare your Elektra in steaming to the Silvia? I'm wondering if I have just been spoilt with the strong steam from this.

That's partly why I'm so puzzled about this, I'm currently on the lookout for a steam tip with 2 or 3 holes rather than 4 as 'Carmen' (Elektra - geddit :wink: ) is just a monster in the steam dept, and I'd kind of like her to be a bit more forgiving.

You can nuclearise a single cappas worth in literally 10 seconds, that's 200ml cold milk in a 350ml pitcher, you have 1,2,3,4,5 to texture the milk, another 3 or 4 seconds with the wand a bit lower and that's it. An instant of lost concentration and you have scalded milk, it's very twitchy and a bit like driving a vintage Ferrari to work every morning I imagine. Double the milk quantity and jug size for 2 drinks gets you only about another 5 seconds again!

Don't get me wrong it's by no means impossible, but it has taken a few weeks to even begin to get used to it, the technique is quite different as to where you position the wand etc

I did a quick google, try this
http://tinyurl.com/bu35x

Boiler water level too high was one I hadn't thought of, or in the same thread crank the p-stat right up and flush more?

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby aloening » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:45 am

Just out of interest I will time the Tea with mod tip later today.
Adrian Loening
aloening

Postby simonp » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:12 am

I wonder if the 2 holes are the problem, maybe they heat the milk in a very localised fassion that it burns it there, hence the screaming, but the milk can't swirl due to the pattern of the jets. When I used water you could see the jets hit the steam of the jug really quickly.

I was steaming 200ml in a 350ml jug too, about 45 seconds.

I steam with the Silvia at 126C, so that is quite a lot more pressure than 1.25 bar.

We were running the Rituale at around 1.3 bar, the heater cut in at 1.2 bar, and cut out at 1.4 bar. This seemed to give a good espresso, I measured 92C during a shot, so it could have gone a bit higher.
I have seen lots of people claiming 1.1 bar or even 0.9 bar for good espresso with an HX machine, they must habe terrible steam!
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Next

Return to Espresso