For the handicraft enthusiast in you...

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

For the handicraft enthusiast in you...

Postby Joey » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:46 pm

Hi folks!
Mybe that's no news for you, but I recently found out that an espresso machine supplier in my town takes the old, used, mostly calcified machines back when a customer buys a new one from him - any brand! Once a month some men from our neighbor east bloc countries pick these oldies up for almost no money. Either they repair them at home and use them for their own coffee houses, or they use them as spare part storage. Yesterday I saw an old Faema (2-group), Rancilio (2-g), Gaggia (2-g) and La San marco (3-g). Not THAT old, but I guess between 10 and 20 years. I'm going to get the LSM for about 180 €. I know that I'll have to take it apart and replace all the gaskets, and maybe some other parts are not working, too - but all together the spare parts won't cost more than 400 -600 €, so a renewed 3 group LSM for 600 - 800 € (worst case!) ?!? I like that!
Sorry, I got carried away - I just wanted to give all the handycraft enthusiasts in this forum a hint to ask your local espresso machine suppliers if they hide some old, used treasures in their basement ;-)

Greetings
Joey
Joey

Postby phil » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:57 pm

Hmmm, not all that dissimilar a story to the one that got me my Gaggia TD 2 group.

And we all know how that turned out....

Maybe I should learn to be an espresso engineer.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:57 pm

Ups, haven't read that yet. Gotta find it ;-)
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:09 pm

Yes, Phil, there's great feature potential in your story...
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:55 pm

Yes I realise that, I'll write it when Allyson lets me have the time .....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:08 pm

Joey, that is very exciting! Are you going to use it for private use or in your shop? I like the idea, although the next three months I have no time for it... hopefully thinks will slow down second half 2004.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm

I'm gonna use it in the store. It's sooooo huge! It will be the first thing you bump into when you enter it :-)
But before that I will try to get rid of all the paint. It will be plain steel (?)
If the surface will be very unruffled (almost glossy) then I will make a big sticker with the outlines of my future logo cut out - stick it on the machine - and grind a pattern on the metal. When taking the sticker off - it should be a nice effect on the long backside of the monster.

Right now it looks horrible. I'll post a picture as soon as I have it.
Best wishes for your dreams and plans, too ;-)

Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:51 am

My new monster! She looks smaller then she is: I had to push down my back seats (jeep, huge) to fit her in lenghtwise, because I didn't wanted to take the spare wheel off. No I will need a loooooot of time after X-Mas. And space....
Joey
Attachments
LSM_3grup_Jeep.jpg
3-group La San Marco 85
LSM_3grup_Jeep.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Joey

Return to Espresso