Me and my machine

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How many espresso machines have you owned?

The first, the last, my everything!
20%
My second.
53%
3rd
27%
I have no idea: I'm Mark Prince and I have a basement full of them!
No votes

Total votes : 15

Me and my machine

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:00 pm

I'm currently using my 5th coffee maker, my second espresso machine. I owned: 3 different sizes of Bialetti, 1 Hellem vac pot that I don't use, I had a Krups Nespresso toy, and now I'm using a machine that won't get traded in anytime soon. So, let's hear it: how many upgrades did you need to get to espresso nirvana?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:09 pm

If I was Mark Prince I wouldn't be talking to the likes of us :lol:

Seriously I went straight from a Pavoni Professional lever (in hindsight a mistake, at the time I bought it I thought it was the mutt's nuts) to the Gaggia TD 2 group commercial I own now. This isn't espresso nirvana as it broke a long time ago, but when it works the shots are the best I've ever had. I'm looking forward to having it fixed. It's not the machine's fault - getting a good espresso engineer to even say "Hi" without buying a coffee contract is a major task :(

I've also got 5 8-cup french presses, 2 12-cup ones, 3 3-cup ones, an eSantos vac pot, a Cona vac pot, 6 one-cup Swissgold filters and an unidentified moka pot. Somewhere in the loft in my old university trunk I think I've still got a very old percolater, but I haven't even seen the trunk for the best part of 20 years so I'm not sure!! (I think my old Christ's College gown is still in there too :lol:).

Anyone else for coffee one-upmanship? (Note to Carolyn & Steve - business stock does not count!)
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:33 pm

I voted "first". Gaggia Carezza, just since 02/03. Getting the hang of surfing it decently until batteries ran out in my only decent set of scales yesterday. Crappy Salter 1 gram (i.e. plus or minus four grams) scales are NO substitute for nice 0.1 gram scales.

Dreaming of a Wega MiniNova Rotary Semi-automatic though....

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby michel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:02 pm

Silvia and Elektra were nice ladies, but now with 'Giotto the neathertaler' in the house I think upgrading will not happen for at least 10 years.
So I voted 3
Last edited by michel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel

Postby michel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:11 pm

found the edit-post function... removing a post is not possible though... am I correct?

thanks Neku.
Last edited by michel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
michel

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:21 pm

(There's an "edit post" functionality if you want to change your posts, Michel)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:15 pm

Removing posts is possible if you're a Moderator.

That would be me.

If you really want something deleted just ask.
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:15 pm

If it's allright with you Neku: 'Phil, please remove the last four posts' so this poll is free from 'unimportant (good info for me though...) -facts'.

thanks,
Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:02 pm

I hesitated for 4 weeks, whether to spend €810.00 on the 'semi-professional' VBM Domobar, or to go for the much cheaper Saeco... thank God I made the right choice. So only 1, and I will wear it down to the bone.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:52 pm

First was a Gaggia espresso, bouht second-hand in italy.
Second is now a Gaggia Coffee with the interiors of an old 1500 watt espresso.
the third, hopefully to come in the next month, is a second-hand Grimac Launo.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby carolynb » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:57 pm

Ho Hum, depends what you call stock!

My first machine was a Jura Impressa S95, great machine but after a while not enough calibration on it to satisfy. Then an Isomac Millennium which got us into the whole Isomac thing, but that's another story! Don't think I ever want another machine apart from perhaps the Isomac AO2 which is basically a 2 group Millennium with a 5 litre boiler - need a bigger kitchen.

We use an Isomac Rituale (great machine) in the office which is identical internally to the Millennium but has a few nice updates such as a different pressure gauge, better water tank surround, different switches etc. Also have a Zaffiro, Super Giada & Viper to play with, oh and a Gaggia Classic but these are for customer demo so not mine really......

Maybe I'd better change my name to Mark Prince!!!
Isomac Millennium & Isomac Gran Macinino
carolynb

Return to Espresso