A cheaper version of the Mazzer Mini E?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Would you buy the Mazzer Mini DL?

Yes, where do I sign!
50%
Maybe (I prefer Mini E as it is and don't mind the extra price)
38%
No, it's still too expensive...
13%

Total votes : 8

A cheaper version of the Mazzer Mini E?

Postby Teme » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:00 pm

I have a Rocky doserless paired up with my Andreja Premium. I've had it for only three month but I am already considering a possible upgrade. The main reasons for this are:

1. Beans do get stuck in the Rocky (and yes, I have removed the finger guard). Having to stir them in the hopper to resume grind annoys me. And the beans I use are not even that darkly roasted / oily.
    2. I would like for my grinder to be just that little bit quicker
    3. And of course: Upgrade fever - the consensus seems to be that the Mini E is the best grinder out there for home use. If I sell my Rocky, then why not go for the best? I hear someone thinking - told you so... ;-)
    4. I have no complaints on my shot quality. They are great and I've never had it this good before, but I am curious as to if they can be even better - i.e. would the Mini result in a perceivable improvement in the cup...

So the Mini E is attractive, especially now that it is available with the shorter hopper. However, I find it excessively expensive. It is €200 more than a dosered Mini?! Come on. I assume that very few Mini E owners find the electronic dosing necessary - at least I think that is not the main reason they bought one. So a lot of the extra price is for a feature that no-one wants anyway?

The best price I have seen on the Mini E is €539 from ESW. Anyone know of a better deal? Due to the over-the-top pricing, I am actually considering buying a dosered Mini and modifying it for doserless.

As a related comment and poll to see if there would be interest for something like this, here's what I'd ideally want:

Start with the Mazzer Mini E. Take out the electronics, but leave in place the funnel, the PF rest and PF activated grind (from the Mod B). Use the shorter hopper and polished metal body of the Mini P available via WLL in the US. As the electronics and the related adjustment screws are out, you have a cleaner look, less parts and a lower price tag at e.g. €400 (well below the Mini E anyway). Finally, add a quick release for the finger guard in the funnel to make cleaning easier (I think it needs to be in place to help with the grind distribution and/or elimination of static). Finally we name it the Mazzer Mini DL.

Would you buy one (see poll)? Now, who can convince Mazzer to build it?

Br,
Teme
Teme

Return to Espresso