La Marzocco filter-baskets (2)

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Marzocco filter-baskets (2)

Postby michel » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:56 pm

Received the single- and double basket today... I was excited as my previous experience with these baskets was that they made my espresso much better (that was on a Rancilio Silvia).
Now I had to match the single basket with Giotto... and I had to throw three shots down the sink, as they were undrinkable, but after matching the grind right, getting a little more sturdy tamp... there was that big syrup stream of dark, sweet liquid again which I've longed for a couple of months...

It is strange to me how to explain the difference between the Marzocco baskets and the stock R.Silvia and ECM Giotto baskets... the difference is obvious though in amount of crema, colour of pour (Marzocco is much darker), time of shot (Marzocco takes longer, so grinding courser is necessary...) and taste (Marzocco seems to have more depth, unknown corners to discover, sweet undertones and balanced bitters...). As it seems to be much more convenience in practice too (Even Petra - my wife - who has difficulties with pulling syrup-shots cann pull them now...).

And I Know this looks like an advertisement, although it is not meant to be one... I'm just very happy with the baskets (especially the single-basket!) as they really seem to add that extra...

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:29 am

Ok, now you have me wanting one, happy now? ;)

Damn that sounds good. Where'd you buy them? And at what price?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:45 pm

Yeah yeah yeah! Gimme! Drool!
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:01 pm

www.ongebrand.nl
but it's also available at the dutch importer of Marzocco (www.coffeetogo.nl)
price was 15 euro incluis shipping... (but I had a tamper send along with it too, so this is maybe not representative...)

BTW, the single makes the most difference... as you can see on the picture (which I'm trying to upload for over 20 minutes now... damn), the single basket on the left has some sort of basket hanging under the basket... which makes that all the water has to pass all the coffee...

Michel
michel

Postby michel » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:05 pm

picture:
Attachments
lamarzocco.jpg
lamarzocco.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:48 pm

Michel, what is your commission from LM? ME TOO, ME TOO!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 pm

Eward,
Glad you are back posting...
No commission... only superior espresso! Try it (especially the single), you won't have regrets.

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Return to Espresso