Hello Coffee PPL.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby alans » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:11 am

Hi Danny,

Great to see another Euro Aussie on the list! I'm from Melbourne but resident in Dublin for the last six years, actually very nearly moved to Amsterdam last year. I'd say it's definatly going to be a try, try again, deal on the shots, personally I grind fine, fill big and tamp light, but you're going to have to change one thing at a time and see how it TASTES to you. Sounds like you're at a good starting point and have read widely enough, now get ready to throw it all out the window and find out what works for you.

Most importantly, get popping! Poppers are great for learning how to roast, I bought one after I had an Alp for a few months because I didn't feel I could know the process well enough without seeing the beans, and roasting with a popper is much more fun than an Alp. Buy a couple of Kg of Brazil Cerrado from Ivo at www.ongebrand.nl, read up at sweetmarias and start playing. Add just enough beans that they only just move by the fan alone (about 125g) and roast them well in to second crack (yes burn your first roast) just so you know what the sounds and timings are on your particular popper. Just remember more beans = quicker roasting time, it's the opposite of what seems to make sense.

The thing about poppers is that it's a simple, manual process, don't be scared of it and expect to waste your first Kg of beans, but after that you'll know all the basics and then you can worry about getting more technical about the results.

And let's not discuss the rugby :cry:
alans

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 pm

Most good shots with my VBM don't start to run until 9 or 10 seconds after I lift the lever. I suspect water temperature is the culprit. Or perhaps too much robusta, but I doubt that.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Espresso