single-origins for espresso and/or moka pot

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

single-origins for espresso and/or moka pot

Postby DrZeus » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:02 pm

I know there was a thread about this on the SweetMaria's list, but I missed the first part of it. So, I thought I'd get your opinions.

I'm not into blending (yet) so I'm curious what some recommendations are for single-origin espresso and/or moka pot coffee. Right now, I'm almost exclusively using a single-shot moka pot (except for when I'm trying a new batch, when I use a press pot).
DrZeus

Postby phil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:25 pm

I love Breazil Bourbon Fazenda Cachoeira - it stands up pretty well as a single origin shot IMO. It's one of these modern pulped Bourbons that Tom's been talking about and can be had in the UK from Steve, also from a couple of other places that out of loyalty I won't name.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:42 pm

I've got to say that im a blended man. I love to get lots of different tastes in my espresso, and blended works for me. On saying that my espresso blend does have a big bit of brazil in it. And the celebes on its own is deffinatley very drinkable.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:19 pm

The world of good blending is a world where I got lost... And I love it... And sometimes when I have made a blend which is not that good, or extremely bad, I roast a single blend right after it the next day: Ethiopia Yrgacheffe or Sumatra mandheling (most of the times...) Then, after drinking this single new ideas come up in my mind to make this single better...
My last single was: washed Mexico Maragogype Superior, Liquidambar... Great! on it own... but I had to add some Ethiopia Harrar for mysterious notes (about 15 percent) the second roast... Then I found the cup a bit to earthy and I add some light roasted cuban for 'chocolat' and some Timor for spice... I have to wait till tomorrow... but I know I have to change some things already now...

But to answer your question: for a single origin... I'm in love with the Cuban beans for a couple of weeks now... The light roast seem to do fine in espresso, pour-over and french-press.
I recommend it by heart, and if you can't get them in Portugal, I can send you some if you want...

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:13 pm

I tend to drink single-origin espresso, because... I don't know... laziness I suppose. I quite like H&V's Harrar and Monmouth's Yirg. I haven't tried Steve's (hasbean) La Torzaca(?) yet. Java's and Cubans don't do well IMO.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Espresso