Krups Vivo / Gusto

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Krups Vivo / Gusto

Postby DrZeus » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:32 pm

My name is Dr. Zeus...and I...I don't have...an espresso machine. :oops:

I don't have the money for one, but I might be able to convince my wife that it's all I want for Christmas (this AND next). :) I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the Krups Vivo (or Gusto, as it's called in North America) is well-rated and those who own them have been relatively happy. Unless there's something better for the same money, that's all I'll be able to get.

So...does anybody know of a decent place in Europe that sells it for a reasonable price?
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:24 pm

John

I read this last night and kindo f thought I know nothing of this machine so what can i tell him. But throughout the day its bothered me. I've yet to find an espresso machine for under £400.00 (about 500 euro). So why give up your mocha pot for a machine that simply wont please. Keep the pot and save up for a good machine thats worth the effort. Sorry thats my opinion for what its worth
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:43 pm

You have a good point, except that I don't wish to spend alot of money for something I can't take with me back to the U.S. We may be here for two more years...three, maybe? We just don't know yet. In the meantime, I just want something inexpensive that I can call espresso that's better than a moka pot or a steam machine.
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:50 pm

But the mocha pot is the best thing (and you can take it back to the states). Dont stress that you think you must have an expensive machine as you get a cheapo one you will go back to the pot in a week or I'll eat my hat (as he looks for the salt and pepper to eat his head gear ;) ) Perhaps the solution is in the lego :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:21 pm

I feel very sorry for you John... but I have to agree with Eeffoc that a Krups Vivo won't give you any pleasure on the 'long' run...(I've added ad picture of the machine...) And two years is a long run (imho).
I remember when I bought my HWPR about 8 months ago. I said to Ivo (ongebrand.nl): 'But there is a new machine coming out... is it wise to buy this model..?' He replied: 'Yes, because we don't know when the new machine arives and even then... who know's what happens?'
So when I step in your shoes: who know's... maybe I live in Portugal for 5 or 10 years... or maybe we return in 6 months... I love espresso, I need espresso - as all the other methods seem to be some sort of immature beverage's compared to that strong, sweet, tiny-cupped beverage we call espresso - so I would buy (preferable second-hand... is www.google.pt an option..?) an espresso-machine... (on the other hand: my purchase of Giotto came on a very bad moment in time and space as far as money concerned... so all four of us: wife and children too, have to slow down a bit...) and enjoy! And if we return to our homeland even after 6 months... I would have enjoyed good espresso for six months and I would send the machine to my new adress and pay the bill... and smile at the lady in the postoffice as she looks at me with this rolling eye's... as I can alway's say: 'I've had GREAT espresso the last 6 months... so that's why..!'

Michel
(who does not have money anymore... but what the hell. You cant drink money anyway... and the children really like applesauce/beans/patato's and all other cheap food... and my wife..? We bought her a really expensive creuset tea-kettle... so we all are very happy... And next month there will be money again... at least I hope..!)
Michel
michel

Postby michel » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:49 pm

forgot the picture:

and the picture won't load anyway... but maybe that's even better because I'm not sure anymore which Vivo you had in mind. Is it the Vivo with the portafiller or the one with just two spouts coming out of the machine..?
(About the Vivo - yes: You having no espressomachine really concerns me! - according to Kenneth Davids (the coffee-writer) it is possible to make a good espresso with these sort of divices...)

Michel
michel

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:44 am

It's the Vivo with a portafilter, and I can find one here for 100 Euros. The choice really is this: I stick with the moka pot (which needs replacing and I want a stainless steel one this time - €25), I buy a steam-powered "espresso maker" (a glorified moka pot, really - €35), or I get the cheapest pump espresso maker I can find (a Krups Vivo - €100).

Given those choices, and my willingness to pay €100, is it your opinion that the moka pot would give me better coffee than a Krups Vivo? I'm not looking for wonderfully fantastic espresso...just something that's a step up from what I'm already getting.

If there was even one coffeeshop around that I could get good espresso, I'd not be thinking much about being able to get it at home. But I'd get better coffee at home just by chewing up some of my freshly-roasted beans and washing it down with some hot water!
DrZeus

Postby alans » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:27 pm

If you get the vivo I'd expect you to hate it within a month and end up regretting buying it, but then I've never owned that particular machine. Perhaps you should look for smaller cheaper investments that you will want to take back to the US to keep you coffee interest going for a little while? I'm thinking vac pots, pour over, mocca pots, don't mention the grinder :wink:.

On the other hand if you're set on an espresso machine, at the €100 price range you'll have to think a little wider and definatly look for second hand. Have you though of catering auctions (perhaps not so easy where you don't speak the language,) or eBay? And what about resale value, if you buy a Vivo I'd assume you'll not get any of the €100 back if you did leave, could you go a bit higher if you knew you'd get it back in the long run?
Check out this little beauty from Germany http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=32903 well over €100 but a HX for €250, I'd buy it from you if you leave!

Alan
alans

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:51 pm

alans wrote:If you get the vivo I'd expect you to hate it within a month and end up regretting buying it

Is that because the Vivo's espresso isn't as good as the better machines, or because a moka pot makes better coffee?

alans wrote:On the other hand if you're set on an espresso machine, at the €100 price range you'll have to think a little wider and definatly look for second hand.

I'm ebayphobic, actually. Never touch the stuff. But I'm sure I could ask around (I have a rather large network of friends here) and see if anybody's received a good espresso machine for a gift. It's a pretty safe bet that they wouldn't be using it, as most people here don't make coffee at home (or if they do, it's with a giant moka pot).
DrZeus

Postby alans » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:32 pm

Is that because the Vivo's espresso isn't as good as the better machines, or because a moka pot makes better coffee?

I'm making that assumption because the cheaper machines are low entry level machines and their espresso isn't up to scratch, which would be fine if you were using cheap coffee and didn't really know how good coffee can be. But you're a home roaster and worse still, you talk to other home roasters every day, your feeling that perhaps the shots are not great will be compounded by people raving about how great their shots are, hence you end up regretting the decision and wishing you'd waited and got a better machine.

I know what it's like to change contries, I had no coffee at all for the first year I was in Dublin, then I had a vac pot for six months but only whirly cutter. Took me two years to get to the current setup of Pavoni PL & JDL (and I still think of upgrading).

Of course that is all based on the assumption that you'll think as I would, which I hope for your sake is an incorrect assumption :wink:
alans

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:39 pm

mmmm....yeah, you may be right. I'd probably be better off getting a Zass (so I can use it wherever) and then buying a stainless steel moka pot.

What does vac pot coffee taste like, anyway?
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:04 pm

Vac or moka? There's a difference. I really like my moka pot (a Bialetti): it resembles espresso *a bit* (don't want to give you false hopes). Vac pot (I have a French Hellem) is more like an improved drip coffee. It has to do with the difference in brewing process, that you're probably aware of.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:11 pm

Oh, okay...yeah, I'm aware of the vacpot process, but have never tasted it. My single-shot moka pot resembles espresso, but only if I make a milk-based coffee drink. :)
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:35 pm

Love that bean in your avatar, btw: what is it? The blue-ish colour suggests a Costa Rican ;) ?
Last edited by Raf on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:46 pm

*shrug*

Ask Tom...that's where I got it from. :)
DrZeus

Next

Return to Espresso