looking for a hand grinder

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

looking for a hand grinder

Postby DrZeus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:04 pm

I'd love to get an electric burr, but I don't wish to spend the money on one, then have to trash it if we move back to the U.S. because of the voltage change. So....I'm interested in a manual burr grinder. Anybody ever used one? Are they practical? Where can I get one for a fair price?

thanks.
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:14 pm

never seen these but if you do find one let me know id be really interested
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:46 pm

(Second try, the server or comms at the networks ops centre are doing their impression of a whore's drawers)

OK, right you want a Zassenhaus IMO. I got one (a Zass 169) three weeks ago to take on holiday. Does an absolutely excellent job, probably less dust than with my Rocky. Totally recommended. Mine was UKP 70, give or take. That's not cheap, but it's a whole lot cheaper than an electric burr grinder that does the same level of job.

I got mine from our friend CB at Another Coffee. No commercial intended - please kick me if I ever start to sound like you-know-who. AC were kind enough to stock these little gems because I asked them to. They think they're great. I love mine. Everybody's happy and there's a good source for Zassenhaus in the UK for the other coffee geeks out there. A total win-win situation IMO.

I know AC aren't keen on selling outside the UK (because of the cost of warranty returns I think) but maybe something as simple as a hand grinder would be OK. Why don't you email CB off-forum John, and ask her what it would cost to get a Zass to Portugal? Or maybe there's somewhere local you could go?

HTH

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:39 pm

Cool, Phil. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll first look for them here.
DrZeus

Postby DrZeus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:45 pm

I found one on ebay! :) Current bid is $35. I don't usually bid at auctions, but this is tempting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=13930
DrZeus

Postby alans » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:09 am

If another would rather not sell outside UK I bought the Zass turkish from http://www.preusslers.de/ none on his web site, but just drop him a mail. How long you staying in the Algarve? I may be able to loan you a grinder....
alans

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:24 pm

The plan is to stay here for the foreseeable future. We spent a fair amount of money in getting here (including the shipment of most of our belongings) and we've only been here 6 months. :)

If you'd be willing to loan me a grinder, I'd be interested in knowing more about it, Alan. Drop me a PM or email, okay?

Thanks. :)
DrZeus

Postby carolynb » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:56 pm

Yes Phil you're correct, our policy about not selling outside the UK was mainly just to simplify potential warranty claims. If anyone wants to buy from us but is prepared to get the item back to the UK at their expense should something go wrong then we would be happy to help! Not sure what carriage on a Zass would be to Portugul but I can find out if you want to tell me which one you would be interested in.

BTW we have just moved our website to a faster, more secure server (6pm last night) so for some ISP's the new DNS might not have propogated across yet. Any problems accessing the site please let me know.
Isomac Millennium & Isomac Gran Macinino
carolynb

Postby michel » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:31 pm

John,
I have a Zass (the model with the curvings in the side - not the box-model - as I thought before buying this would be much easier as you can put it between your legs...)
I'm having my doubts now though about this model. I'm a bit fragile built and the Zass won't stay between my legs as I'm grinding...
So my advice: If you buy one, and you are not as strong as a gorilla, buy the box model, as I think it will be more convenient...
(BTW my brother is built like a gorilla and when he is in the house I let him grind with the Zass. He puts it on the tabel, holds it with one hand while 'whirling' with the other... The Zass won't move an inch...).

I found a way to make my Innova grind for espresso as well as pour-over, so I'm using the (stepless) Innova these day's a lot more as my legs were turning blue, my muscles were hurting, and I was getting pretty irritated by grinding for over 7 minutes for two cups of pour-over in the morning... In the evening I still use the Zass sometimes - especially when 'gorilla-like' friends are over or my brother is visiting -out of nostalgia.

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Return to Espresso