Iberital l'anna no powering up.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital l'anna no powering up.

Postby thetyrant » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi all.
Forgive me i know very little about these machines but i am very mechanical and electronically minded so working on them shouldnt i hope be an issue!

Short story my partner bought a lightly used Iberital l'anna GR2 end of last year to use at home, they are coffee crazy and daughter is training to be be barista etc, anyhows its been working fine up until a few days ago and i came across this forum looking for some pointers but nothing same has shown up as yet, hopefully someone can point me in right direction and history of events and what ive tried below.

Im told it made some brews no problem earlier that day and was switched off,

They went back to it an hour or so later to power it up again and upon turning on only the red power light comes on and no matter what position switch is in there is no green boiler element light, also the switch panels on top are not illuminated either and no autofill.

I got there yesterday and checked water level it was midway between max and minimum but when drained would not autofill, was fine with manual fill button but still no panel lights or green boiler light

I removed panels to check fuse on main PCB which was ok and nothing obvious burnt out on PCB, also used multimeter to check element which i think i did right and was about 32ohm on each side of pair?

Manually turned the spindle on back of pump after reading on here they can seize and it seemed free to move.

Check boiler pressure cutout switch that seems ok

Checked over various connections and things unplugging and replugging etc but could see an nothing amiss all secure and contacts clean, it just doesnt seem to be powering up anything but the red power light, i carefully pushed the main contactor for element in and had power to the element so that seems ok.

Any tips or things to try next ?

Thanks in advance
thetyrant

Re: Iberital l'anna no powering up.

Postby thetyrant » Thu May 05, 2022 8:12 am

Just to add to this in case anyone else stumbles on this thread, even though the forum does seem very quiet :(

After much messing about and testing i deduced it was the controller board not powering up, closer inspection showed the PCB transformer wasnt giving low voltage out and looked a bit swollen which is often a sign of issues, tested the windings and sure enough open circuit on one side, ordered a replacement from Farnell for £5+postage/handling etc so £17 all in, removed old transformer which had split open underneath! soldered in new one and machine is up and running again.

I did inspect test a few of the components around the transformer like bridge rectifier etc before replacing in case there was underlying cause but all seems good so took the punt, so far so good!

All in all seems like a good outcome for lot less than the £170+ i have seen complete controller boards going for.
thetyrant

Re: Iberital l'anna no powering up.

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:07 am

That’s great news, It’s good you got it fixed without too m7ch cost. Im sorry you got no replies, it tends to be a bit quiet here and responses are sometimes a bit slow.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso