espresso sweet???

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

espresso sweet???

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:44 am

hello fellow coffaholics , well where do i begin , for years i drank good ole nescafe instant , then after reading articles on sites like CG , i decided i was missing something in taste quality in my coffee.

so i went out bought a gaggia MDF grinder and bodum press pot , and boy i could not believe the difference in tastes "hasbean freshly roasted beans"anyway then i got to asking myself , well if this humble press pot can produce such amazing coffee, surely one of these fairly expensive espresso machines will be even better.

so after some thinking about the costs , i decidedit best if i go taste some espresso, and having read in CG forums about the sweet tasting beverage tat is espresso i set out to discover myself beforeshelling out hard earned cash if this was for me.

now then , i live in a small village nearest town is like 13 miles away, so in i go hit the first place i se and they have a expobar with 3 group heads , so i thought this looks good , ordered a double , ove it came , and yikes bitter , this went on for abou 2 months , me trying different places on different ays , thinking maybe if i try different days , that somebody more able to work the machines , might pur me one of these sweet shots ive been reading al about but still alas , nope bitter bitter bitter :(

well this brings me to my final kinda question , which is is it me my taste buds or is it the fact that maybe i should be putting sugar in the dam things , anyway what ever im still hoping that one day i might experience one of these sweet espresso shots , but im thinking its more than likely to be with my own shiney new machine.

thanks for listening :)

Re: espresso sweet???

Postby MKSwing » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:43 am

Anonymous wrote:well this brings me to my final kinda question , which is is it me my taste buds or is it the fact that maybe i should be putting sugar in the dam things , anyway what ever im still hoping that one day i might experience one of these sweet espresso shots , but im thinking its more than likely to be with my own shiney new machine.

Hi there,
It depends on the coffee, roast and the pour. Just the other day I roasted some Daterra in light french. It lost all its usual little bitterness and had to put less sugar than usual (which is already few) because it was so sweet. Yesterday I tried a Mexican coffee roasted light french too, got it already roasted but really fresh... Never tried a so sweet espresso brew, amazing.

So, there's only one thing that can help you a good espresso for your taste : Do it at home and try several origins until you get the one you like.
I'd just like to add a little thing, you don't have to think that espresso is the achievement of the coffee. You like coffee poured in press pots ? Fine, find the perfect coffee for it and you have what you're looking for. Don't think that for a coffee, you'll have a better taste if you pour it as espresso instead of press pot. It's true for some and false for others, and always false if you don't like espresso :)

HTH
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Return to Open House