grinder questions: mazzer jolly

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

grinder questions: mazzer jolly

Postby edraket » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I bought a secondhand mazzer jolly at Espresso Service West today. It is quite old but with a new burrset and a new hopper I'd say it was worth the 175 euros I paid. And I was in sore need of a grinder after having splurged on a silvia last month.
So I am happy.. finally an espresso that oozes out instead of trickling. How tasty that is...
But I have some things I'd like to ask your advice about.

First of all the doser is enormous, my voice seem to echo when I say something into it. Grinding what is enough for a double into it seems to render it more or less useless as a doser since I need to pull the lever several times to get all the coffee out. I can work it but it seems .. well a bit futile. I found myself cranking everything out of the doser and then measuring it out with my scoop. How do other people deal with this?

It has the automatic grinding function that will keep the doser filled. This is fine.. I can just turn it on and off by hand. But this seems to eradicate any chances of putting it on a timer (and thus hopefully being able to grind a single dose without the need for a doser.) Because to start grinding I have to press the on switch in a bit after which it returns to its old position.
Is there any way around this?

I had expected differences in grind settings between beans. But I didn't expect this much! The same setting that gave me a 25 second double with the old beans I used to try everything out and dial it in gave me probably a 10 second double with some decaf beans my wife brought home. Is this normal? I tamped both at 30 pound btw.

I like to switch beans quite often so I'd like to grind all the beans out. Consequently it runs without beans for maybe a second or two. Is this a problem? The folks at ESW mentioned something about not running it while empty.

Well geez I'm sorry I just stumbled in here and asked so many questions. I guess I am just kind of excited. :) Even after hoisting that damn thing home on trains busses and eventually a bicycle!!
Ok.. I'm off to my machine again!
(Thanks for listening.)

eddy
edraket

Postby phil » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:52 pm

C'mon, one of you Super Jolly users must be able to help this guy?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby edraket » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:20 am

Yeah man! :) Maybe you guys should all go to esw and become super jolly users as well. ; ) They have a whole cartload of em.
edraket

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:27 am

I don't own a Mazzer but my guess is that running empty is a worry only if it's for much more thn one or two seconds, I think the problem is overheating. Mazzer have expresssed concern about Minis being run for **minutes** on end when empty because they are so quiet without beans.

IIRC most people just hit the dosing lever several times as you do to empty the doser.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby pault » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:25 am

Down with dosers!!!

I have a deep dislike for dosers & hoppers which strike me as only useful in a cafe situation. The hopper is easy to remove from the Mazzer - I've found a use for my RB tamper which keeps the beans down once you take the hopper off.

The doser - I just don't see the point of them on home machines - the Mazzer E's syringe front completely avoids the problem of built up grounds - you just grind what you need and since it goes directly into the basket - you stop exactly when you have enough. Much better solution ...

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:57 pm

Well I tried using the tamper as a weight but apparently my tamper isn't heavy enough. Found that out soon enough when beans started spraying out :)
I've unscrewed the black ring from the hopper and now I can use that as a closable mini hopper.
Using an old fan shaped paint brush its quite quick to sweep the coffee around in the doser so I can get all of it out in a couple of pulls.

It all works. I'm a happy puppy. :)

eddy

Return to Open House