Long life milk EUUUW

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Long life milk EUUUW

Postby Klaetu » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:23 pm

How do we convert "cappuccino" makers of Holland not to use Long Life milk in their coffee?

Even the "official" ILLY stands in Schipol are using "Domo LangVies" or other disgusting fluids...

I am on a crusade...

I would become a member here but I am a heretic with a Nespresso so I do not think I would dare ask ;)

A dane in holland who loves a good cappuccino with compressed microfoam (learned that word here)
Klaetu

Postby Raf » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:47 pm

We'll have you converted to real coffee in no time :) By long life milk you mean UHT milk?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:07 pm

I would become a member here but I am a heretic with a Nespresso so I do not think I would dare ask

Well I agree that most of us would sneer at the Nespresso thing, but if you've tried really, really good coffee and you still like the Nespresso then that's an interesting datum ( or alternatively you have no sense of taste :wink:)

By all means ask
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:29 pm

I have a lot to say on the subject of coffee in NL. Believe me friend, the revolution is comming. Not sure when but it is comming.

It's already started in Amsterdam.

-D
Danny

Postby tisri » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:21 pm

On the face of it, it seems to me that Nespresso offers freshly ground coffee that is quickly vacuum-packed so it doesn't go stale like a big bag of ground coffee would. To me the biggest downside would have to be the limitations - I can't see any way you can blend Celebes Kalosi Toraja with Sumatran Lintong using a Nespresso machine.

Before I bought my Gaggia I looked (briefly) at Nespresso, and took a pod home with me (with the salesman's permission). Cutting open the pod I found it did smell much like I'd expect freshly ground coffee to smell, and lost its aroma in the same sort of time I'd expect fresh coffee to.

Still, with a choice of only about eight pods it wasn't for me. But hey, to each their own. Some of us even use robusta in espresso blends :)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:51 am

nespresso: 4,5 gram of coffee for one shot, a kilo price of more then 50 Euro, a vibration pump (ok, that can be excused), can that plastic thingy heat up to at least 89°C?, and that fake frothing device - brrrrr. No thank you. But I understand that some people like to use it in offices cause it's not so messy. Just wouldn't want to throw away so many capsulas....that's a lot of waste over the time....expensive waist.....
Just my 2 cents.
joey

PS.: I wouldn't mind having an Nespresso User as a member - the love for coffee counts, we could convert him.... :twisted:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Re: Long life milk EUUUW

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:09 am

Actually I have a very keen sense of taste and I really, really like nespresso's taste and the fact that before I could get one week of good tasting coffee out of 250 grams of freshly ground beans and now I get IDENTICAL coffee out of each identical pod. The pods can keep a year or more.

The milk frother is not bad but you are right, I have to make luke warm milk in the microwave before it will heat it enough. However if I do that I get a very nice cappuccino in my humble and not super connaisseur but very choosey opinion.

The long life milk used here in NL has a distinct taste that I guess the koffiemelk using dutchies do not mind (koffiemelk is a discusting fluidum closely realted to but completely unlike condensed milk)

Sorry for the late reply. I lost the addu of this site

Postby jumper » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:28 am

speaking as a dutch coffee drinking type person who drinks cappucino and repaires nespresso machines i would have to agree that the nespresso is for a regular coffee drinker the easiest way to get a decent cup of coffee but deffinatly not the best and the cappucino from the jura's at least is better than you usually get from an fullautomatic machine.
fresh milk for the cappucino is nice but "friese flag lang lekker" is e very good milk that i don't think tastes as bad as you discribe.
but its allways better to just drink espresso
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:12 am

joey wrote:nespresso: 4,5 gram of coffee for one shot, a kilo price of more then 50 Euro, a vibration pump (ok, that can be excused), can that plastic thingy heat up to at least 89°C?, and that fake frothing device - brrrrr.

You forget their so called espresso is more a 15cl mug. Grrrr I hate their advertising... And never try to make a real espresso with that, ugly ugly ugly !
But the quality of the result, even if you can't compare it to a freshly roasted coffee, is a big improvement compared of what you can have if you buy your coffe at the supermarket.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Joey » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:28 am

ok, ok... it has a right to live, too. like 4**** restaurants and McDonalds.
But it shouldn't be called espresso. just coffee.
there are many ways to make "a coffee", but there is just one way to make "an espresso".

Huh, chief joey has spoken ;-D
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:37 am

now I go one step further.... when IS it a espresso?
According to doctore Illy, whom I guess we all respect as the man who has once defined it clearly....
7+ gr, 28-30ml water, 9-9,5bar pressure, in a time between 24-30 seconds - depending on the coffee...bla, bla, bla..... (I don't want to start an argument about seconds here, just try to make a point...)

Drip coffee will never be called "espresso"
Turkish coffee is also always "turkish coffee"....

Now my opinion is, that if you use a fully automatic home kitchen aid with less pressure, less temperature, wrong timing, etc.... which still produced a dark shot of coffee... I call it "espresso-like-coffee-drink, or just "coffee.

BUT:
What is with the "espresso" made in these Italian stove top cooking devices, which even the Italians call "espresso"? The silver thingies you have to unscrew, fill, close and wait for boiling.... how much coffee gets how much pressure, water...and so on..... ????

Do we generally call anything dark espresso now?
Or do we stick to "espresso" when it has the specific formula, and everything else is "coffee". (Italian coffee for the stove top thingy, turkish coffee for the Ibrik method, drip for drip.....etc....)

I prefer to call "espresso" only what comes out with the correct formular, but that's my humbled opinion.
What is yours?

Curiously Joey
Joey

Postby Raf » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:58 am

My not so humble opinion is that you're right, Joey. Glad to have you around again - you've been away it seems. Busy with the shop? BTW we must talk about content soon!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:27 am

yep, very busy. and I am still. need a barista despreately for having more time for "the boss stuff". hard to find people with looooove for coffee.
Joey

Postby steves » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:34 pm

joey wrote:hard to find people with looooove for coffee.

Yes, but maybe not as hard as finding somewhere where you don't feel the urge to jump over the counter and pull the shot yourself...

As far as milk goes, if the place can't produce decent espresso anyway, I don't see that the milk matters. If they can (and if so Holland is further along than the UK) then just drink the Espresso...

For my part, I'd rather drink Nespresso than some of the things I've been served recently :x (the Trade Descriptions Act seems not to apply to coffee) (For Non UK people Trade Descriptions Act = piece of UK legislation which means if you order an espresso you should get an espresso, not something else).

I guess it's just depends what your definition is. I reckon most people in the UK, if they had any idea at all, would, at best, probably say an espresso is a short strong black coffee. This can, and of course does, cover a multitude of sins.

Joey - your definition didn't say anything about freshness. If it's horribly stale, is it still espresso? :? :wink:

Steve

PS think I'll go and have my first go at roasting. Heatgun or popper? Oh, what the hell, I'll try both.
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby Joey » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:49 pm

steves wrote:
Joey - your definition didn't say anything about freshness. If it's horribly stale, is it still espresso? :? :wink:

Under the circumstance that all other parameters have been correct but just the coffee was stale, I would call it "bad espresso" :wink: :wink: :wink:

joey
Joey

Next

Return to Open House