New here

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New here

Postby MKSwing » Sat May 01, 2004 11:51 am

Hello,
I'm a new french "home roaster". Well, at least I'll soon be. I just orederd my hearthware precision as I couldn't wait more for the new iRoast, wich, according to the sweetmaria's Tom review is very promising. You can't imagine how hard it has been to find a hearthware vendor on the net. Finally, I ordered it via http://www.sandalj.com/ and now I'm waiting for the invoice.
Next step was ordering green beans. As I felt in love with sweetmaria's website, I decided to order from them. I am particularly interested in their espresso blends. But the minimal order is $40 (which I understand) and the shipping cost are too high for a first test, so I entered "buying green coffee beans in Europe" in google, found hasbean.co.uk and from there found a link to this site... Finally exactly what I'm looking for, an european community !!!
In 5 minutes browsing I found 10 times more websites than in searching for hours via google or american coffee websites, so cool :)

To describe myself, I'd say I'm french but my parents are italian and go there every summer. My parent's didn't want me to dring coffee before I was 16 and I began drinking some when one of my brothers opened its restaurant and it was Yirgacheffe. Additcion grew and 2 years ago, I decided I couldn't live without a good lever machine, so I stopped by lapavoni website and ordered an EHL Europiccola with a JDL Jolly grinder. By chance, my first went very good. But then, catastrophy arrived cups after cups. So, I decided to look for instructions and tips. Weeks after weeks, my shots got better and now I'm happy to say that most of my shots are very good. Increasing my skills, I then understood that freshness of the coffee and roasting levels were very important. About the same moment, I found sweetmarias website and understood were the holly grail is :D A few days ago, my girlfriend offered my a Zassenhaus manual grinder and looking at my coffeegeekcorner in the kitchen I decided it wasn't possible anymore to wait for the iRoast and ordered the Precision model. I orederd my coffee from <http://www.berliner-kaffeeroesterei.de> as I read <a href="http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&btitle=CE&mid=&ceid=81'>this article</a> but forgot to specify I was living in France and made an error in my email address... I sent them an email to correct my order but I don't know what's going to happen :?
Hoping to join you soon,
--
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby Raf » Sat May 01, 2004 12:02 pm

Hi Stephane, you're the first to apply via the Open House. Great! You have my vote. Please note: our adminstrator (Phil) is gone for most of the weekend, so you'll have to be patient a bit.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat May 01, 2004 12:23 pm

Bonjour! (I hope that's spelled right ;-))

Any French that speaks english is very welcome to me :-D (I gave up on trying to speek french a loooong time ago)
...and italian parents? Welcome again.
I'm curious on your experiences with the lever machine.

Servus/Ciao/Aurevoir
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Steve » Sat May 01, 2004 12:33 pm

Wow nice to have someone on the open forum, deffinatly gets my vote
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat May 01, 2004 12:35 pm

Neku wrote:Please note: our adminstrator (Phil) is gone for most of the weekend, so you'll have to be patient a bit.

Not yet I'm not. I'll start the email now.

Stephane - if you could drop me an email to the "admin" address at this domain with your preferences for userid (MKSwing?), password etc. Also all members of TMC are entitled to a TMC email account so let me know if you want one.

Finally, a question for everyone - is it just me or is this page rendering rather oddly? Normally a page doesn't render beyond the edge of the screen unless forced to by an oversize image attachment.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 12:58 pm

My new screen runs 1280 x 1024 and it displays fine for me. (IE6, W2K Pro).

Cheers,

Hugh

Postby HughF » Sat May 01, 2004 1:02 pm

Sorry, the above post was mine but as I wasn't logged in it showed up as a Guest post and I can't now edit it to say it was me. In other forums I couldn't have posted without being logged in and I'm too used to that.

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Sat May 01, 2004 1:03 pm

I run Firefox most of the time until (just occasionally) I find a page that doesn't render correctly, usually because it renders the way it's intended by the designer through faulty coding and non-standard html/css.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat May 01, 2004 1:09 pm

Nope. No rendering here. Everything's peachy.
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby michel » Sat May 01, 2004 6:43 pm

Prenez un mot prenez-en deux
faites-les cuir' comme des oeufs
prenez un petit bout de sens
puis un grand morceau d'innocence
faites chauffer a petit feu
au petit feu de la technique
versez la sauce énigmatique
saupoudrez de quelques étoiles
poivrez et puis mettez les voiles

ou voulez-vous en venir?
A 'espresso'
Vraiment? a 'espresso'?

A bientot,
Michel

------------------------------
(translation: just a poem about 'espresso'... which, if translated, would be somthing like:
Take a word, and another
boil them softly like an egg
put some sentence, not too much
a piece of innocence (the whole of it)
on the low fire of technique
pour over some mystic
a few stars and salt
and veil it

And to what this all leads?
To espresso
Really? To espresso?
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 8:12 pm

phil wrote:Finally, a question for everyone - is it just me or is this page rendering rather oddly? Normally a page doesn't render beyond the edge of the screen unless forced to by an oversize image attachment.

I'm rendering this forum on a Mac, using Safari, I have no problem.

P.S. : I just sent you a request by email, I hope I tried on the right email address.

--
Stephane

Postby flimbag » Mon May 03, 2004 11:18 pm

French home roaster of Italian extraction?

I vote yes! How could I not?
flimbag

Postby phil » Tue May 04, 2004 11:01 am

Re the rendering - it only seems to happen with Firefox.

Alan - are you seeing the same thing?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue May 04, 2004 11:02 am

I don't have any troubles, and I'm using Mozilla.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby alans » Wed May 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Pav, Pav JDL, Zass turkish, Stephane's got most of the same kit as me!

Re the rendering - I'm seeing the same as you Phil, so perhaps it is a FireFox only issue.
alans

Next

Return to Open House