Spam in open house

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:51 am

Apperently some spambot has reached the open house:

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=1824
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:22 am

yeah, it keeps on happening, there's no point in tracing the IPs as they are always different, and always the result of bots. The only feasible way around this, would be for us to lock the whole forum down to members only (no guest posts would be allowed). So far this is a step we have not been prepared to take. In the meantime, if anybody notices anything, please send an email or pm to the mods and we'll get rid of it asap.
Thanks
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:46 pm

At least it is not too bad or too frequent at the moment. It would be a shame to exclude non-members and visiting guests from forums across the pond.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:12 pm

I think as long as we report it to Dom Raf or Phil via PM and they are happy to remove them lets keep an eye on it as I'm with cake monster, lets try and keep it open
Steve
Founder Member

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:41 pm

I guess that a PM would have been more appropriate than starting topic here. It was the first time during my short career at TMC that I saw spam, so it is not too bad. I like the concept of an open house, would be a waste to shut it down.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:52 pm

I think pretty much everyone agrees that TMC is a friendly place, and the Openhouse is a part of that. So I suggest we keep this thread for a week or two, just so everyone knows what is what, then I'll kill it (provided I remember :D).
Thanks for your help in keeping TMC a fun, welcoming and spam free forum!
D
Gouezeri

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Might be handy to put this in the open house FAQ. In this way newcomers know it as well. It just prevents you have such a topic every 4 months.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:29 pm

I would like to take issue with young chemitones last words, as you all know it was late on a friday afternoon when God created the Dutch so please do not blame him too much. Also; God planned to drop boulders around Holland in order to keep the sea out but the recording angel miss-typed the command (Windows 3.1) and Polders were created. This is why all Dutch people have webbed feet. Netherlandsthe less we still love 'em.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:51 pm

motoman wrote: Netherlandsthe less we still love 'em.

speak for yourself :twisted: :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby chemistone » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:57 am

Forgot to take your pills motoman ;)? It is really a 300th post to be proud of ;) :D.

Gouezeri :twisted:

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:07 pm

"guest" posted a load of jibberish in what looked like kanji, which I (the invisible man) deleted... leaving everyone hungry for the next 3 weeks :D

Postby scottwhite » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:40 pm

^^^ ooh look it's a spam take-away ! :D
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Make mine a number 15 with a side order of 32... and on which note, I gotta rush to catch a ferry... so enjoy all the free mobile ringtones whilst I'm away :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:06 pm

gouezeri wrote:Make mine a number 15 with a side order of 32... and on which note, I gotta rush to catch a ferry... so enjoy all the free mobile ringtones whilst I'm away :lol:

PARTY TIME! :drink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Davec » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:08 am

gouezeri wrote:yeah, it keeps on happening, there's no point in tracing the IPs as they are always different, and always the result of bots. The only feasible way around this, would be for us to lock the whole forum down to members only (no guest posts would be allowed). So far this is a step we have not been prepared to take. In the meantime, if anybody notices anything, please send an email or pm to the mods and we'll get rid of it asap.
Thanks
D

To combat this other websites use a enter the code system to avoid thespambots. The website generates an image of 3 or 4 letters/numbers and asks you to enter them.

This could simply be done at the time of submitting the post and would avoid automated spambots. Simple solution, but would only work if the postings are not being done in "person"
Davec

Next

Return to Open House