New machines: too much choice!

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New machines: too much choice!

Postby prettygreenparrot » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:23 am

I was all set to start saving for a Brewtus II - I like the dual boiler idea. And then I figured "hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a machine where you just pressed the button & got the right volume of water". My sights shifted a bit.

I just read that Reneka are stopping production of the Techno and Renee at justespresso.com is selling them for €1295. No way can I buy one now. But if I could, what're the differences between the Reneka Techno, La Spaziale S1 & the La Cimbali Junior DT1? And what other machines are there in this sort of price bracket?

My "ideal" machine? automatic, rotary, single grouphead, plumbed in, dual boiler.
prettygreenparrot

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 am

By way of alternativces that you may not have thought of, in a slightly different category, my L'Anna hand fill has a massive boiler as a commercial so although an HX it will steam and brew simultaneously all day. There are plumbed in versions of it too. Not many people on TMC look at small commercials but they are an area well worth considering in my opinion.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby prettygreenparrot » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:48 am

L'Anna looks good on the happydonkey site. And commercial equipment often has those 'nice' features like accessibility for service/repair.

What features does L'Anna have other than being an automatic large single boiler HX?

Already, I see lots more reading & listening are needed.
Vivaldi S1 V1
Mazzer Mini EL
Behmor 1600
Press pot
prettygreenparrot

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:49 am

Have you seen
http://www.home-barista.com
If not you have many months of heavy reading ahead of you.

Postby prettygreenparrot » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:29 pm

oh yes, it was the home-barista.com site that put me on to the Brewtus. Still, lots more to read. thanks
Vivaldi S1 V1
Mazzer Mini EL
Behmor 1600
Press pot
prettygreenparrot

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:28 pm

The L'Anna has excellent build quality, uses a rotary pump and is easy to work on due to its size. Adjusting the boiler pressure etc is easy with the space to work in. Crucially for a commercial, a hand fill version (like mine) is available.

I find her very consistent and she has amazing steam power. Well worth considering vs top end prosumer machines in my opinion, as I believe it to have that little bit more of everything as it was designed to work very hard. The cost is very similar to top end prosumer machines.

I don't think that small commercial machines are marketed at prosumers and that means quite a few of us don't realise what is available or at least what it is capable of when compared to machines that are directly aimed at us. It's worth a physical look at a commercial machine if you are able to do so.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 pm

That's interesting, Cakeboy: a hand-fill machine with rotary pump -- does it have pre-infusion ? I prefer the idea of hand-fill -- more flexible in where you site it and no bother with water conditioning gubbins. I tend to just use bottled water from the supermarket which obviously couldn't be used with a plumbed-in m/c.

I've read that rotary pumps don't necessarily give better coffee than a vibe pump, but the water metering ability that pgp referred to and the quiet refinement would be a major plus. Silvia always sounds like she's about to shake herself to bits :mrgreen:
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:51 am

Not sure about pre-infusion (if you PM Scott he will know), though the shots are excellent and consistent too. You could actually set one of the auto controls to pre-infuse. I was thinking of trying that the other day.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:29 am

Sounds like my ideal machine! I don't know much about how pre-infusion works, but those in the know seem to think it well worth having.

I have the prospect of another two years study so no chance of a new m/c for a while, but maybe in a few years . . .
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:01 pm

Scott is going to look into the question of pre-infusion for us.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:39 pm

From what I've read about vibe/rotary and preinfusion it seems that rotary pumps deliver their pressure very fast. If there is no restriction of the waterflow the puck can get damaged and lead to channeling. Preinfusion works against this effect. Vibe pumps need some time to deliver their pressure and therefor put less stress on the puck.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Guest above is Mathias. This computer seems to have a problem and I don't have a clue what it is :(

Postby phil » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Cookies, probably, if you can't sign on and make it stick
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:From what I've read about vibe/rotary and preinfusion it seems that rotary pumps deliver their pressure very fast. If there is no restriction of the waterflow the puck can get damaged and lead to channeling. Preinfusion works against this effect. Vibe pumps need some time to deliver their pressure and therefor put less stress on the puck.

I don't get much problem with chanelling using a rotary pump S1 but this may be due to the narrower and deeper 53+mm LS baskets.
The only time I've seen a puck smashed apart was when I dozily stopped a shot after 6-7 seconds thinking I was re-using an old puck when it was fresh coffee. Oops...

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby scottwhite » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:10 pm

looking at the manual on this never been asked for pre infusion relating to the hand fill before, more soon
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Next

Return to Open House