SCAE and YOU!

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 31, 2006 2:59 am

Undertook a scientific experiment yesterday :wink: . Stood by the barista in Costa whilst he worked his "magic". Bloody hell, my cat would have better technique if he meandered over the drip tray and caught the switch with his tail! This guy had a HUGE jug of foam with at least an inch of milk in the bottom which he tried to slop into a twin handled breakfast bowl containing my overextracted "quad" that was pulled with tardis like logic from a double basket in a two spout p/f. Watching nearly put me off my coffee. Tasting it did .... :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wallisj » Wed May 31, 2006 8:52 am

I love their largest coffee "cups" (buckets?) ... they must hold over 20oz .... they put a 10second extraction of blonded liquid (i regret i cannot call it espresso) into this bowl and then top it off with 18oz of over steamed milk....

The first thing i do now in a coffee shop is watch around 2 - 3 drinks be pulled and observe technique and timing ... unfortunately this approach has left me without a shop bought espresso based drink in months....

I did go in one place where the chap working seemed to have a reasonable technique ... the drinks looked ok and the timing of the shot seemed good (slow flow rate with no blonding) so i venture so far as to have a small cap (< 10oz ) but it tasted foul ... the beans must have be roast to beyond char$
wallisj

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 am

wallisj wrote:I love their largest coffee "cups" (buckets?) ... they must hold over 20oz .... they put a 10second extraction of blonded liquid (i regret i cannot call it espresso) into this bowl and then top it off with 18oz of over steamed milk....

Those are the ones! :shock:

The beans may not have been entirely fresh either. That horrible slightly stale overtone was present. I blame HB Steve. I would have had no clue before he corrupted me :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wallisj » Wed May 31, 2006 10:42 am

I know .... we're all corrupted .... we should form a society like the whiskey drinkers one ... where we can nerd off about coffee .... ..... ..... oh wait .... we're already doing it :)
wallisj

Postby Paul L » Wed May 31, 2006 11:42 am

Guys, please, I'm in enough trouble already. The flow of folks in the kitchen area of the office just look at me whilst I am deftly and skilfully going through an Aerobie routine with my own coffee etc. and I can see their expressions are really saying "oh God, him again, just what the hell is he up to now..."

... whilst they grab the huge tin of powder without lid and make themselves a cup of the catering trade's finest...
Paul L

Postby monkey66 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:24 pm

can we have a secret handshake?
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby Steve » Wed May 31, 2006 1:47 pm

We have Monkey we just haven't told you ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Wed May 31, 2006 1:53 pm

It involves a lot of trembling until the first coffee of the day...

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 31, 2006 2:41 pm

...... and all our hnds are stained light brown with a whiff of freshly roasted :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Wed May 31, 2006 2:47 pm

That brown thing will be just you cakey :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Sorry, have you seen my wet wipes? :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby monkey66 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:49 am

!!!!!
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Previous

Return to Open House