SCAE and YOU!

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby scook94 » Mon May 29, 2006 12:12 pm

Err... wouldn't that involve some sort of test at the end of the workshop? A certificate of attendance might be cool though...

FWIW I'm kinda more excited about the Cupping Workshop than any of the others, although the Barista training and Latte art workshops would be on my list too...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 29, 2006 12:39 pm

scook94 wrote:Err... wouldn't that involve some sort of test at the end of the workshop? A certificate of attendance might be cool though...

FWIW I'm kinda more excited about the Cupping Workshop than any of the others, although the Barista training and Latte art workshops would be on my list too...

Sorry, not being clear. Not a test, but just something to show attendance and perhaps an opinion that a certain level of competence has been reached in the eyes of the expert trainer.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 29, 2006 12:40 pm

Steve wrote:
ould the training provide some form of recognition that a certain standard has been reached?

Good question Cakey, of which I dont have the answer..... will get back to you.

Cheers Steve. It's not critical, but would be nice for those taking part :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Mon May 29, 2006 1:09 pm

I guess the certificate would be easy and the norm. Acreditation maybe the final goal, there was talk about getting some one like NVQ/city and guilds type stuff but not imediatly
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 29, 2006 1:22 pm

Maybe a testing authority such as London SOC could be asked to test those that were interested for the SCAE Barista certificates in respect of accreditation?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby scook94 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:10 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Maybe a testing authority such as London SOC could be asked to test those that were interested for the SCAE Barista certificates in respect of accreditation?

That may be stepping on the toes of what they offer themselves...
scook94

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 29, 2006 2:38 pm

Yes that is true, though they may be happy to work together if they remain the overall authority on the examining side, i.e. the testing session is one entirely of their own bolted onto their training but held in the SCAE environment rather than their own. Really just a case of location so that those who cannot easily attend London might be able to go to another place and work alongside those on the training days discussed but also take a meaningful examination at the end.

On the cost of membership side of things. It might be nice to have a seperately priced exthusiasts membership that perhaps does not include cheaper entry to the trade shows and other things. There must be many that would join if the cost were around a quarter of what it is now. Most hobbiests will happily pay £20-£25 to join the official association of their chosen interest, but few will cough up £85 or so the same as the commercial boys.

The SCAE should not lose sight of the importance of nurtering the enthusiast area (not that I am for a minute inferring that to be the case) as it is the one area where standards can be assured. No amount of training will make a "couldn't care less" poorly motivated barista using average beans in a commerical situation governed by a manager that cares only for profit, into someone that will produce great coffee. Enthusiasts on the other hand have passion and are not doing it for a living, which in turn leads to quality and self improvement.

It would seem to me that if the membership for enthusiasts was set at a level similar to other hobby association joining fees, that the SCAE would benefit from our passion for high standards and we would benefit from being part of the fold. After all, £85 represents a lot of green beans (six months worth for me) which we will roast just as well (or badly) with or without membership of the SCAE :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Mon May 29, 2006 2:50 pm

...as long as we still get the wooden plaque! :P

Postby scook94 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:52 pm

oops, forgot to log in above!
scook94

Postby Davec » Mon May 29, 2006 3:12 pm

I think individual non-commercial membership should be around £10-15 (possibly with some restrictions to reflect the cost)
Davec

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 29, 2006 3:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:...as long as we still get the wooden plaque! :P

:lol: Absolutely! Something to polish is crucial :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Mon May 29, 2006 4:39 pm

The individual membership isnt going to happen I'm afraid we discussed this, and it has to come from board level. But a £10-£15 would mean it would be full wack for the courses. The thinking is join up and you will get a fully blown course that should you pay for just one would be the membership fee alone (london school of coffe's courses are mostly more epxensive than this), and we are talkingi a big discount.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Mon May 29, 2006 6:02 pm

Sorry Steve, are you saying that we would pay the fee, then have to pay the same price for a course??? I think I am having a bad day concerning English here!!!

Personally I would be happy to pay the £85 depending on the additional cost of a course. IF it was heavily discounted for members, and I mean HEAVILY, then that would make the initail payout stomachable IMHO.

On the other hand, I can't see the membership really benefitting the masses. Only a small group of enthusiasts (read nutters) are really likely to join. Has the SCAE seriously thought of more mainstream promoting. Maybe getting somebody like Good Food magazine involved or similar. If the association wants to broadedn its horizons on the membership front, then I think this is sosmething that will have to be looked into. I am not personally into 'Exclusive' clubs/societies myself and would like to see it open up a bit.

Matt
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Mon May 29, 2006 7:06 pm

Matt, I think Steve means it the other way round. Pay for membership, get an el cheapo course :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby scook94 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:11 pm

I would have no objection too paying the £85 if for example the courses being talked about were, say, £75 full price and say, £40 for members... Being a member of the SCAE is appealing...
scook94

PreviousNext

Return to Open House