my silvia is bust what should i buy ?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

my silvia is bust what should i buy ?

Postby guest » Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 pm

i bought a silva from drury 2 years ago and the element has blown out of warranty i have been quoted £120 ish quid to fix it and so i wondered about buying a new machine a loved the silva but i was dissapointed i could'nt realistically make more than a few drinks at a time for guests etc so i was wondering about buying a larger capacity machine and i wondered about an alex what do people think?

also is it possible to buy and install my own new element in the silva for less money and how hard is it to do youself? i am quite handy and have a good understanding of electrics

any replies greatfully recieved

jon

Postby AlanP » Tue May 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Happy Donkey sell Rancilio elements Here

Also Espresso Parts Here
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Guest » Tue May 16, 2006 8:46 pm

AlanP wrote:Happy Donkey sell Rancilio elements Here

Also Espresso Parts Here
thanks v much do you know if they are difficult to install do you need special tools etc ??

Postby AlanP » Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Sorry,can't help you there but I'm sure if you gave the guys at Happy Donkey a ring they'd be happy to help. :)
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Davec » Tue May 16, 2006 9:49 pm

My advice is to have a chat to them. Products sold in the UK should be of merchantable quality, this means that they should reasonable do all the things expected of them for a resonable period of time. The sale of goods act last time I looked didn't set an upper limit for how long this should be...they used to just say reasonable period. Is it reasonable that your heating element has only lasted 2 years?

It of course depends why it has gone, but i think if you have a chat to them, they may be willing to do you a bit of a deal on a heating element. They can buy them much cheaper than you and may be willing to pass on all or even more than all of that saving on to you. I have found most sellers perfectly reasonable if they think that you have a point and reasonably the machine should not have gone faulty for that reason. It has to be worth a try. Be polite, be calm explain your position and explain what could solve it.

I give you an example a Vivi or Alex heating element is £17.99 on BB web site and they are 1500W elements.....doesn't exactly break the bank, and I would have thought that your seller would be more than willing to have a satisfied customer for a small outlay.
Davec

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 16, 2006 11:11 pm

There is no "upper limit" in relation to The Sales of Goods Act. It is a period that any reasonable person would consider reasonable and if there is a dispute only a Court can determine what that period is in relation to any specific case or item. I would speak to the vendor and if you get no joy simply call Scott at Happy Donkey who will be able to sell you a new element at a reasonable price and I dare say advise you in relation to installation. Most of the £120 repair fee you have been quoted will almost certainly be labour costs. Good luck :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

rancilio elements

Postby mo go gear » Wed May 17, 2006 4:24 am

Anonymous wrote:
AlanP wrote:Happy Donkey sell Rancilio elements Here

Also Espresso Parts Here
thanks v much do you know if they are difficult to install do you need special tools etc ??

Beware there are two versions of the elements on the market and they are very different. Ther is one that is the typical bolt int othe boiler housing . This was an earlier version that was was prone to leaking around the nutted area :wink: Then ther is the new one that is welded into the boiler with no nuts or seals to leak. Check out this link at 1st Line parts in US / New Jersey. They are a great supporter of the Home-Barista forums and very responsive. Whether you buy from them or use this info to get the better version of the element is up to you. But this one comes wit hthe element and the boiler -sold as a unit for approx $85 US . Then you just remove one and install the other. A lot less work

http://www.1st-line.com/parts/rancilio/20102943_Boiler_with_Heating_Element_Welded_110V.htm

Good luck- The Silivia is not the "end all" machine- but it is worth fixing IMHO

Mo
mo go gear

Postby Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks to all of you for your advice to be honest i didn't think about pushing drury to fix it out of warranty. This is partly because i am sure it was my fault because i kept leaving the steam button on for ages overnight etc when the resevoir was empty and twice the overheat reset tripped but i did'nt send it back to check as i assumed it was my carelessness and the third time i left it on the element went. Also when i spoke to them they said i should send it to a saparate company for fixing which i would need to do anyway to confirm that the element has really blown, although i'm sure it has as its open circuit across it, i could then argue about who pays for the repair my best option would probably be to get it fixed and try and get drury to refund me, this however seems alot of hassle to me but i will think on it. Anyway as i have got a litle fed up with temperature surfing and not being able to make enough coffees for 5 guests easily and not being sure that the element wouldn't blow again i decided this morning to buy an alex have just rang bella barista who were incredibly helpful and i've so i ordered one but i may explore getting a new boiler for the silva as mine is the sealed unit described above and then try flogging it on ebay.

Anyway thanks again for all your comments

jon

Postby Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 9:17 am

quick update have emailed 1st line parts in usa to see if they do a 220v version although they say on the website they don't and the really helpful guy at happy donkey is getting us a quote although he reckons it will be expensive - will keep you posted if you are still interested

all the best

jon

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed May 17, 2006 10:25 am

Guest wrote

Jon, I think it's time you signed up to TMC (and also Mo). Peeps with broken machines and bottomless wallets, provide the oxygen that keeps the forum alive.
A good usename would be 'Silvias' Bust' but finding a good one for Mo, might prove more difficult.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Gouezeri » Wed May 17, 2006 11:28 am

Presume Drury asked you to return the Silvia to the Coffee Machine Co (doubt it would be anyone else) as that is where their engineers are... if it was anyone else, that would be a turn up for the books as I've seen their workshop and they are well equipped. As for the cost, I'd agree with Cakey... london prices, bound to be a huge mark up in "labour" costs.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 12:38 pm

cumberpach wrote:Guest wrote

Jon, I think it's time you signed up to TMC (and also Mo). Peeps with broken machines and bottomless wallets, provide the oxygen that keeps the forum alive.
A good usename would be 'Silvias' Bust' but finding a good one for Mo, might prove more difficult.
QC

Actually the purchase may have seemed kind of casual but we had sort of planned to get a new machine anyway my wife bought me a love pot about a year ago which is like a giant piggy bank thing and the plan was that all the loose 1 and 2 pound coins that were in my pocket at the end of each day went in the pot when we smashed it last week it had £600 in it which made a painless sort of hole in the cost of the alex and if i can fix the silvia for £50 - £100 and flog it for £200 then it isn't so chav like

i'll think on the username

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed May 17, 2006 1:38 pm

Guest wrote
last week it had £600 in it which made a painless sort of hole in the cost of the alex and if i can fix the silvia for £50 - £100 and flog it for £200

I would try a keep Silvia as 'backup' to the Alex. There is a danger that you may spend £100 and still not fix the problem.
Ok, if your idea works, you will gain £100, but loose a fantastic machine. If funds will allow it, I would delay repairing the Silv.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby scottwhite » Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 am

hello Jon

left a message on your phone just in case I took the number down incorrectly I thought I would post here !

Scott
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby Davec » Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 am

Anonymous wrote:Actually the purchase may have seemed kind of casual but we had sort of planned to get a new machine anyway my wife bought me a love pot about a year ago which is like a giant piggy bank thing and the plan was that all the loose 1 and 2 pound coins that were in my pocket at the end of each day went in the pot when we smashed it last week it had £600 in it which made a painless sort of hole in the cost of the alex and if i can fix the silvia for £50 - £100 and flog it for £200 then it isn't so chav like

i'll think on the username

Blimey Jon, you don't hang about....Sylvia to Alex and you have not even joined yet to get the benefit of our wit, charm and extremely expensive upgrade advice :shock:

Still I luv my Alex :)
Davec

Next

Return to Open House