my silvia is bust what should i buy ?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby nickr » Fri May 19, 2006 10:15 am

Still I luv my Alex

Even though big Brewtus is on the scene?
(Oh, what does this sound like?)
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby GeorgeW » Fri May 19, 2006 3:23 pm

Anonymous wrote:
cumberpach wrote:Guest wrote
any replies greatfully recieved

Jon, I think it's time you signed up to TMC (and also Mo). Peeps with broken machines and bottomless wallets, provide the oxygen that keeps the forum alive.
A good usename would be 'Silvias' Bust' but finding a good one for Mo, might prove more difficult.
QC

Actually the purchase may have seemed kind of casual but we had sort of planned to get a new machine anyway my wife bought me a love pot about a year ago which is like a giant piggy bank thing and the plan was that all the loose 1 and 2 pound coins that were in my pocket at the end of each day went in the pot when we smashed it last week it had £600 in it which made a painless sort of hole in the cost of the alex and if i can fix the silvia for £50 - £100 and flog it for £200 then it isn't so chav like

i'll think on the username

He just went and bought an Alex......he did...he went an bought an Alex..just like that.
The whole world has gone mad..mad. :cry:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Davec » Fri May 19, 2006 5:51 pm

nickr wrote:
Still I luv my Alex

Even though big Brewtus is on the scene?
(Oh, what does this sound like?)

well given the opportunity I would be a bigamist....yes I love them both....in different ways. :wink:
Davec

Postby Guest » Fri May 19, 2006 7:42 pm

This is mo- go -gear,
I would love to sign up but I do not live in Europe, and that is a written pre-requisite for TMC- So I'll not be offended- all places have rules.... as long as I'm welcome on the Open House area- I find TMC a good source and different view point.. So sorry- I'll be another GUEST in the ranks

mo go gear ( greg)

Postby zapty » Fri May 19, 2006 7:58 pm

I don't think it is or should be solely for us Euro's, we just don't want to be swamped out like on the other coffee site and yes, we do have different viewpoints and yes, you are very welcome.
Nice to have ya around Greg.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby leecb » Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm sure there is such a thing as an honorary european.
It's really just a state of mind! :wink:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 20, 2006 1:26 am

Good to see you back Greg. I checked out your lever area on Home-Barista. It looked great :D . I recon you should be allowed to join as an honourary European!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Sat May 20, 2006 8:10 am

wow all this interest i must join

firstly scott thanks for messaging this is obviously a small world i did get your message and still thinking on it all i think i will strip the silvia down and work out exactly what gaskets and seals etc i need before decided what to do

the alex came yesterday it is completly ace the espresso is a dream really quick to get right very forgiving compared to the silvia i can't get the foaming/steaming/angle/jug/swirl/etc right yet which i had to an art on the silvia but it is fun trying and easy cos there is endless immedite steam aslthough i'm getting through alot of milk i also have the jitters cos i hate throwing away practice shots, i wonder if the boiler pressure is a bit high at 1.4 but bella said they had tweasked the brew water temp and it all tastes ok so i won't fiddle quite yet

all the best everyone

Postby GeorgeW » Sat May 20, 2006 3:29 pm

Congrats on buying the Alex.
That said, the way you went about it was highly unnatural and very unsettling.
You do realise you were supposed to hum and haw for at least a year and then scrape and save for at least another two, before whipping yourself into a nervous state bordering on hysterics before you actually bought the thing.
The fact that you did none of the above is bad enough but now you are making espressos without any teething problems.
I have lived too long and nothing makes sense any more.

Please be warned that in buying an Alex you have put yourself at risk of becoming very buddy buddy with Davec who you may know also has one of these overrated machines. You are at risk of being drawn into a never ending spiral of self-congratulation. :roll:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Davec » Sat May 20, 2006 8:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:wow all this interest i must join

firstly scott thanks for messaging this is obviously a small world i did get your message and still thinking on it all i think i will strip the silvia down and work out exactly what gaskets and seals etc i need before decided what to do

the alex came yesterday it is completly ace the espresso is a dream really quick to get right very forgiving compared to the silvia i can't get the foaming/steaming/angle/jug/swirl/etc right yet which i had to an art on the silvia but it is fun trying and easy cos there is endless immedite steam aslthough i'm getting through alot of milk i also have the jitters cos i hate throwing away practice shots, i wonder if the boiler pressure is a bit high at 1.4 but bella said they had tweasked the brew water temp and it all tastes ok so i won't fiddle quite yet

all the best everyone

Hi, yes the Alex is a great machine and very forgiving...ah so many good machines in the world.

I have my boiler pressure set at about 1.1 bar in my own personal machine. I find this gives me good steaming and a smaller cooling flush with increased stability during the shot. The MA-TER stat keeps it within +/- 0.05 bar of 1.1bar. At this prssure there is no danger of running out of steam (no chance on the Alex).

Dave
Davec

Home Barista

Postby mo go gear » Sat May 20, 2006 8:12 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Good to see you back Greg. I checked out your lever area on Home-Barista. It looked great :D . I recon you should be allowed to join as an honourary European!

I can just consider myself as the offical reporter for TMC to the Home Barista group!! I think CakeBoy is also a memeber of H-B? I don't think there many leverheads here, as far as I can tell. It is my obvious focus. Thanks CB for pointing me initially to HV. He and I have had several off site discussions about lever machines. He is very knowledgable and helpful. Thanks again for the 'welcome mat"

mo
mo go gear

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Yes I am a member of H-B Greg, but have not as yet posted. Some good reading over at your place :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Open House