quickmill andreja or izzo alex...?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby nickr » Mon May 15, 2006 6:32 pm

Wow, now that really does sound exciting (and very expensive). Does the manufactures name begin with an E
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2006 8:47 pm

so what your saying is that the ideal domestic machine is a commercial machine that doesnt have the charcteristics of a domestic but has the facilities that are offered by a commercial machine though it should not run like one, that is it should run like a domestic machine would, even though its not because thats how they are configured?

Postby Gouezeri » Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:so what your saying is that the ideal domestic machine is a commercial machine that doesnt have the charcteristics of a domestic but has the facilities that are offered by a commercial machine though it should not run like one, that is it should run like a domestic machine would, even though its not because thats how they are configured?

It's Steve in disguise, only he could write such obscure prose :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Davec » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 pm

gouezeri wrote:
Anonymous wrote:so what your saying is that the ideal domestic machine is a commercial machine that doesnt have the charcteristics of a domestic but has the facilities that are offered by a commercial machine though it should not run like one, that is it should run like a domestic machine would, even though its not because thats how they are configured?

It's Steve in disguise, only he could write such obscure prose :wink:

Dunno....lost me a while back :lol:
Davec

Postby zapty » Tue May 16, 2006 7:04 am

???? Me too...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby badday » Tue May 16, 2006 7:10 am

I started this thread (I was non-member at the time) but it seems to have veered off on a tangent :) I'll be attending the b&b workshop on sat so I hope to sort out which machine to get then (though I'll undoubtedly have more trouble getting my wife to understand why our current coffee machines aren't enough).
badday

Postby Paul L » Tue May 16, 2006 7:53 am

I have to say that the Isso brand appeals and I might just give up the Pavoni. Some thinking to do. I can see there's a price difference a bibration v rotary pump. For someone wanting consistent high quality, not the best technically, decent grinder and opportunity to put good beans through them is it worth stretching to an Alex or would a Vivi do all that one would reasonably require?
Paul L

Postby nickr » Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 am

There seems to be a bit of mythology surrounding rotary pumps - There big advantage is long life and quietness. In some installations the actual espresso produced by a rotary machine could be worse than espresso produced by an identical machine equipped with a vibe pump.
See
http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1317

The Vivi is astonishingly good value but like the Alex will need lots of flushing and lots of filling up. Maybe you should look at the Andreja - pretty as a Pavoni and becoming today’s Silvia i.e. reference machine.

See
http://www.home-barista.com/junior-buye ... usion.html

It has to be said though - it does have crap knobs
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Davec » Tue May 16, 2006 9:32 am

Paul L wrote:I have to say that the Isso brand appeals and I might just give up the Pavoni. Some thinking to do. I can see there's a price difference a bibration v rotary pump. For someone wanting consistent high quality, not the best technically, decent grinder and opportunity to put good beans through them is it worth stretching to an Alex or would a Vivi do all that one would reasonably require?

An Alex was my treat to me :wink: Rotary vs Vibe....the books and authorities in the coffee world say...it makes no difference. I liked the Alex because of the IKB in me (Brunel) and biggish boiler thats all. It is a little larger than the Vivi and a bit uglier I guess (although i think she is beautiful) :lol:

However, to answer your question....yes a Vivi will do all that one could reasonably require and at a good price point for the class of machine.

I am however reviewing a few more machines at the moment and if you are looking within the Andreja, Alex, Vivi, budget range....might be worth waiting until I finish my review and have a read.

Plenty of other machines out there as well (just in case you think I am on commission :lol: )
Davec

Postby Paul L » Tue May 16, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks Gents. The appeal is:
1. the £700-ish price mark (I also have the Hottop in the back of my mind as well to move on from my current iRoast)
2. obtaining a quality machine without reviews having to make excuses for brazing, wiring, noise etc.
3. buying from a reputable UK supplier such as Steve or the positive feedback for Bellarista as I am not really technical if I need help along the way

Importing form chris-coffee or some other or saving a few quid from a UK internet only source do not appeal. I shall wait patiently and look forward to the review(s).
Paul L

Postby Davec » Tue May 16, 2006 5:21 pm

nickr wrote:Wow, now that really does sound exciting (and very expensive). Does the manufactures name begin with an E

Well I suppose no harm now they are so close to formal launch. yes I have the great pleasure of reviewing a number of Expobar machines and at the moment thoroughly ernjoying "my" Brewtus II. yes I might not give it back....i can hear the wife shouting again!

So far I am impressed and enjoying every minute of it :D I suspect my review will be irrelevant to peoples purchasing decisions, but I kept quiet about that, otherwise they might not have let me sully the "brand new" machine :mrgreen:

The funniest thing is going to be the price! Which I may add another TMC'er has already enjoyed the benefit of, as the sneaky so and so got in before anyone else (telepathy??) :shock: . people are always complaining about being ripped off......well now they are going to be complaining that if they had known how cheap it was going to they would have........... :cry:

Anyway....I'm off to pull another shot :P
Davec

Postby Chivalry » Tue May 16, 2006 5:35 pm

Paul L wrote:Thanks Gents. The appeal is:
1. the £700-ish price mark (I also have the Hottop in the back of my mind as well to move on from my current iRoast)
2. obtaining a quality machine without reviews having to make excuses for brazing, wiring, noise etc.
3. buying from a reputable UK supplier such as Steve or the positive feedback for Bellarista as I am not really technical if I need help along the way

Importing form chris-coffee or some other or saving a few quid from a UK internet only source do not appeal. I shall wait patiently and look forward to the review(s).

Izzo vivi it is then :) dont think theres anything else as good and well built and equiped in its price range :)
Lots of good reviews, and reknown as an exceptional machine...
What are u waiting for man!! lol

i love my Vivi :D

(im not biast.. honest.. lol )
Chivalry

Postby nickr » Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Oh no don't Dave - I know this is going to make everything else look a bit silly. Get them to add another £300 at least.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Guest » Sat May 20, 2006 2:10 pm

How much does the Alex plumbed in option cost? Is it reversible should the machine be later used with an onboard tank?

Davec ; question

Postby steve96822 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Hi Davec,

I have some questions regarding choice of espresso machine and stuff on your website. Sorry I cannot pm you since as a Yank this is the only forum open to me and I cannot register(tried)

I will be looking for a 220volt machine for home use in BKK.

Could you please email me steve96822@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Steve
Honolulu
steve96822

PreviousNext

Return to Open House