The real cost of shiny new machines

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The real cost of shiny new machines

Postby nickr » Thu May 11, 2006 9:07 am

When I tell friends that I’ve spent over £900 on a coffee machine, they think I’m mad. Even on this forum there are some who think that £900 is too much, but think about it. An espresso machine is used at least once a day more or less 365 days per year. Most people now have a digital camera. Even if it only cost £200, on a per use basis that’s very expensive. Also in 5 years time my espresso machine will still be worth around £400 pounds on ebay. A 5 year old digital camera will probably not be worth selling. Camera’s are just one example – bicycles, boats, radio controlled aircraft, video camera’s, football even fishing. On a £/use basis these hobbies cost far more than our lovely shiny machines. I could go on about phones and ipods and ridiculous cars and Sky TV and………. but why bother, I’ve got coffee to make.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Re: The real cost of shiny new machines

Postby Davec » Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 am

nickr wrote:When I tell friends that I’ve spent over £900 on a coffee machine, they think I’m mad. Even on this forum there are some who think that £900 is too much, but think about it. An espresso machine is used at least once a day more or less 365 days per year. Most people now have a digital camera. Even if it only cost £200, on a per use basis that’s very expensive. Also in 5 years time my espresso machine will still be worth around £400 pounds on ebay. A 5 year old digital camera will probably not be worth selling. Camera’s are just one example – bicycles, boats, radio controlled aircraft, video camera’s, football even fishing. On a £/use basis these hobbies cost far more than our lovely shiny machines. I could go on about phones and ipods and ridiculous cars and Sky TV and………. but why bother, I’ve got coffee to make.

Nick, fair comments and I don't regret a single penny I have spent on coffee over the years. It has given me a lot of pleasure, I love drinking it and I only which I hadn't waited so long to get decent kit!

Also for the s%^T you get in most coffee establishments and the price that you have to pay for a single cup, these home machines pay for themselves in no time....because I now rarely buy a coffee outside!
Davec

Postby Joris » Thu May 11, 2006 9:41 am

Amen ! :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby nickr » Thu May 11, 2006 10:05 am

Actually I got it wrong - It should say "When I tell my friends that I've spent over £800 on a coffee machine".

Blimey what a bargin!
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby CakeBoy » Thu May 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Two sandwiches a medium (triple), and a large (quad) espresso comes to nearly £13 in Costa. Most people pay peacemeal for their coffee and never add up the true cost or consider the quality per cost ratio. Then again, most pople could not operate a proper machine consistently and properly without the knowledge and experience most TMC'ers enjoy. I'd say you got a bargain Nick for something that brings you so much joyand quality. It's your friends that have taken the expensive route to average coffee :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby stigin » Thu May 11, 2006 3:57 pm

Davec wrote:1) Nick, fair comments and I don't regret a single penny I have spent on coffee over the years. It has given me a lot of pleasure, I love drinking it and I only which I hadn't waited so long to get decent kit!

2)Also for the s%^T you get in most coffee establishments and the price that you have to pay for a single cup, these home machines pay for themselves in no time....because I now rarely buy a coffee outside!

1) I second that.

2) That too. One would think that pulling 50 shots a day and some basic interest should at least lead to some expertise...

Some related calculation:

(3 coffee/day)x(1,5 euro/coffee)x(365 days/year)/2 = 820 euro/year

I devided by two to take into account buying beans/cleaningthings/electricity... That easily buys back any investment in 1-2 years. Not considering it is a hobby and those always cost money...

Image That makes me feel warm inside (of course other things also help) Image
life's too short to drink bad coffee! Image
HasBean Beans -> Caffe Rosto -> Rocky Doserless -> Miss Silvia -> Me -> Grindenstein + Pallo
stigin

Postby monkey66 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:42 am

Stop hanging around with non-users, or get them hooked and start dealing to support your habbit. :)
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:58 am

:lol: Spot on Monkey ........ hey, do you sell Cuban by the ounce? :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Paul L » Fri May 12, 2006 11:17 am

I believe a lot of the problem comes down to the abuse of coffee which sees a jar and a spoon defining the drink, the fact that such a beverage should be re-name dunder any sensible trade description laws is a different issue.

In other words, somehow during the past 300 years (although I suspect more like 40 years) the great public of various countries psychologically accepts that coffee is a few granules which costs £1 per jar and makes many drinks of 'coffee'. A premium coffee is perhaps 3x that at most. That funny stuff that is ground or which you grind and which involves hassle, only to produce a strong 'coffee' is a bit more expensive granted.

I sincerely believe that the thought of a cup of coffee being quite a different drink involving freshness, four 'M's or anything else is knowledge it takes mental effort for people to get their head around. Wintess the fact that the moment you buy an expresso machine and a grinder friends and family now feel intimidated because suddenly you're an expert. All the while, what's really going on underneath is trying to absorb the mass of ne wknowledge you're starting to acquire and very much aware that you're a novice.

Bea rin mind that there isn't an equivalent with any other drink (leaving alcohol aside), I mean it's not enough people fele overawed because you've taken up 'tea' as a bit of a hobby. In this context, it's not surprising tha tpeople don't understand coffee and are shocked at the seeming expense one can go to. The best defence is still the calculation of 2 x starbucks a day = £5 x 5 days a week = £25 x 4 = £100 per month. Even if you half that it's £600 per year and so on...

a strong cup
Paul L

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 12, 2006 11:24 am

Very true Paul, and enough greens of a much higher quality - nay, the best quality - for a year at those rates comes out at just over £100 (based on HB Colombian SO). Some people are spending a month what we spend a year and all they get is poor to average coffee at times when their local franchise is open, whilst we sample the best coffees in the world procured by a living legend in a dodgy footie shirt :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Davec » Fri May 12, 2006 11:57 am

Or.....a Mac

oops :wink: :lol: :oops: :roll:
Davec

Postby espressomattic » Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 pm

Know what you mean about the intimidating bit. I ask people if they want a coffe and they say 'Yeah' and I say 'How do you want it', They say with milk or black and you can imagine where it goes from there. It gets to the point of being embarrassing really, but they all appreciate it afterwards. Then there is the dilemma that has been mentioned by George. You give somebody some beans etc and you visit several months later and they offer you the self same...I tend to shirk away and ask for a cup of tea saying I am off coffee for a while.
espressomattic

Postby Davec » Fri May 12, 2006 12:13 pm

Damm....posted wrong image and cant edit it:

It should have been this one and its is not a gratuitous way of posting more of these horrible things than I have to :lol:
Davec

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 12, 2006 9:56 pm

That sunburn certainly looks sore :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Davec » Fri May 12, 2006 10:12 pm

CakeBoy wrote:That sunburn certainly looks sore :shock:

Nah thats the heat from the Aromaroast :lol:
Davec

Return to Open House