why does it have to be so damn expensive???????!!!!!!!!!

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 11:47 pm

Well I try not to make any assumptions, there are many technical women around.

Yes, there are, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them! I leave all that sort of stuff to the BF (isn't that what he's here for?) Very stereotypical, I know, but it works for me :D
LisaB

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 08, 2006 2:21 am

LisaB wrote:The shots themselves are often quite bitter, even when made solely with the Monmouth coffee (I usually buy the espresso beans). Is the bitterness more to do with the freshness of the grind than anything else?

It might be caused by over extraction or the water being too hot. I doubt the Krups has very consistent brew pressure, so temps will most likely vary.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon May 08, 2006 11:14 pm

Quentin,
I love you... just need to go and resize breako's latest post now :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Cumberpach wrote

I had a Krups 2020 for about 18 months and it produced quite good coffee, but it's a machine that's very critical on grind, tamping and water temperature.
LisaB wrote
My machine is most fussy about fineness of the grind - too fine, and no water runs through. I regularly buy coffee from the Monmouth coffee house, but being without a grinder have to get them to grind it for me. This tends to be a bit hit and miss as sometimes the grinds are too fine. To compensate I have to mix the good stuff with some coarser supermarket bought coffee, just to get water to run through

Well, I dug my machine out of the loft as promised and Lo! it's a Krups 2100+, but similar to your's, but without the milk suction thingie.
Agreed, these Krups are sensitive to grind, but your hands are tied, insofar as you are using pre-ground.
I got the best results, by using the single basket. You will find there is less likelyhood of 'choking' with the single basket. You could also try half filling the double basket. There is no need for an expensive tamper, I would suggest using a Safeway/Morrisons, plastic drum of Sage herb at 39p.
Mark (Cakeboy) mentioned that high temp may cause bitterness. He is correct ...... and it's not even a Leap-Year. I would suggest leaving machine switched on for 20 minutes, to get the basket and holder nice and hot. Remove holder, add coffee, flush about 30ml of water thru' shower screen, quickly dry shower screen, replace holder and pour. Do not leave basket too long, before pouring, otherwise you will 'cook' the coffee. Good luck.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 pm

cumberpach wrote:Mark (Cakeboy) mentioned that high temp may cause bitterness. He is correct ...... and it's not even a Leap-Year. Quentin

Ooooeeerrrr, I try not to do it too often. Sorry, I forgot to divide the year by four before making sense for a change. Am off for a random off-topic witter on other threads to make it all feel right again :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby LisaB » Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 pm

Mark (Cakeboy) mentioned that high temp may cause bitterness. He is correct ...... and it's not even a Leap-Year. I would suggest leaving machine switched on for 20 minutes, to get the basket and holder nice and hot. Remove holder, add coffee, flush about 30ml of water thru' shower screen, quickly dry shower screen, replace holder and pour. Do not leave basket too long, before pouring, otherwise you will 'cook' the coffee. Good luck.

Quentin, many thanks for going to so much trouble! I have tried the method you suggest and notice a slight improvement in the smoothness of the shot. It is still a little bitter for my taste though and i therefore sweeten it with some sugar. A starbucks bought latte is sweet enough that I can drink it without adding any sugar. Being a diet conscious girlie, it would be great if I could achieve the same effect at home!!

I think I am going to invest in a decent grinder and see if that yields better results. I've read so much about how important the grinder and freshness of the grind is, I'm sure it will make a difference.

BTW, Cakeboy mentioned that I may be 'over-extracting' the coffee - sorry to be a complete dumbwit, but does this mean I am using too much water in the shot?
LisaB

Postby lukas » Tue May 09, 2006 7:57 pm

LisaB wrote:BTW, Cakeboy mentioned that I may be 'over-extracting' the coffee - sorry to be a complete dumbwit, but does this mean I am using too much water in the shot?

Exactly that! And don't feel dumb if you don't know the vocabulary. I thought I was fluent in englisch before getting to tmc ... then all these words and acronyms popped up, and I felt like being in 6th grade again drilling the vocables. Doesn't take long, though ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue May 09, 2006 8:31 pm

LisaB wrote
I think I am going to invest in a decent grinder and see if that yields better results. I've read so much about how important the grinder and freshness of the grind is, I'm sure it will make a difference.

Yes, that's a good idea, the MC2 grinder (mentioned earlier) has the same grinding mechanism as my grinder and can be found also in the Isomac Machinocaff.. Happydonkey also sell spare bits, so should last many years.
lukas wrote
LisaB wrote:
BTW, Cakeboy mentioned that I may be 'over-extracting' the coffee - sorry to be a complete dumbwit, but does this mean I am using too much water in the shot?

Exactly that!

If you push too much water thru' the puck, you get over-extraction i'e' bitterness and an almost white crema. If you prefer a larger espresso, it's best to add hot water to the coffee afterwards (sometimes known as an 'Americana').
The ideal amount of cofee in the cup is about 50ml for a double and half this for a single. Is this the amount you are aiming at?
Quentin
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby LisaB » Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 pm

The ideal amount of cofee in the cup is about 50ml for a double and half this for a single. Is this the amount you are aiming at?

Whoops!! I have been using the double filter with my jack daniels shot glasses. On closer inspection it seems that each shot glass holds about 60mls (made for the spirit lovers amoung us :drink: ). So it seems I have definately been over extracting! I realise now that this such a school boy error, but hey ho! I will try again filling each shot glass just under half way.

Yes, that's a good idea, the MC2 grinder (mentioned earlier) has the same grinding mechanism as my grinder and can be found also in the Isomac Machinocaff

I have been looking at these grinders and, of the two, am inclined to go with the Isomac. Being a beginner, I am a bit concerned about the stepless adjustment feature of the MC2. There seem to be two Isomac models - the Granmacinino and the Macinino Prof. Is there much difference between the two?
LisaB

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue May 09, 2006 9:59 pm

LisaB
There seem to be two Isomac models - the Granmacinino and the Macinino Prof. Is there much difference between the two?

I haven't read any comments here ref these two Isomacs from TMC members.
If you draw a blank, you could google up CoffeeGeek and try their search engine.
QC
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Joris » Wed May 10, 2006 8:03 am

cumberpach wrote:If you prefer a larger espresso, it's best to add hot water to the coffee afterwards (sometimes known as an 'Americana').

I usually do it the other way around, I take hot water from the machine and do the pour of the espresso sirectly in the glass (which is filled with hot water). Mainly a looks-thing I think, it's nice to see the coffee and water mixing during the pour and the endresult just looks better ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Davec » Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Joris wrote:
cumberpach wrote:If you prefer a larger espresso, it's best to add hot water to the coffee afterwards (sometimes known as an 'Americana').

I usually do it the other way around, I take hot water from the machine and do the pour of the espresso sirectly in the glass (which is filled with hot water). Mainly a looks-thing I think, it's nice to see the coffee and water mixing during the pour and the endresult just looks better ;)

I sometimes put the milk in first then add hot water....just to be different :wink:
Davec

Postby Joris » Wed May 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Davec wrote:I sometimes put the milk in first then add hot water....just to be different :wink:

Wow... too much for me, couldn't handle the buzz you'd get from drinking that ;)

So when are you starting the Too Much Milk forum?
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Davec » Wed May 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Joris wrote:
Davec wrote:I sometimes put the milk in first then add hot water....just to be different :wink:

Wow... too much for me, couldn't handle the buzz you'd get from drinking that ;)

So when are you starting the Too Much Milk forum?

I wanted to do an "on rant" (unfortunately I cant get to my emoticons at the moment) about a number of different subjects. I have successfully? covered "upgraditis": I do want to find the time to do justice to:

The Naked Portafilter....Why?
    Milk Based Drinks
    Tamping
    home Roasting
    My second hand e-bay machine just arrived :roll:

:lol: :roll: :wink:
Davec

Postby leecb » Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 pm

I think you're better off putting the boiling water into the cup then making the espresso and pouring it in on top.
This way the water cools down from boiling to around 90' which is much better for the coffee!
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

PreviousNext

Return to Open House