why does it have to be so damn expensive???????!!!!!!!!!

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:51 pm

Steve wrote:Get the best grinder you can for your money and a mocha pot or Aerobie and save for that special machine. That would be my advice.

As ever Steve's advice is spot on, a good grinder is the most important piece of equipment you can buy. The next most important thing IMO is the freshest beans you can get your hands on, I'm assuming you're not quite ready for roasting your own yet? You will find many here (including myself) who will recommend Steve's site.

There are many ways to enjoy great tasting coffee, Steve has mentioned two but you can add French press, SwissGold pour-over and vacuum brewer to that list. Do you drink espresso exclusivley? Or is it a base for other drinks?
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby mhuk » Sun May 07, 2006 9:58 pm

Yes, dialling in each time on the MC2 is a bugger. I used a whole bag of Cuban beans and still didn't get a good grind (beans were too hard and a bit dry; too much for the MC2 whereas my old Cunill would have eaten them up no problem ;).

Keep your eyes on Ebay for cheap machines (if you are a seasoned Ebayer?).

Welcome to the fun and keep your wallet locked up ;)

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 10:02 pm

I had a Krups 2020 for about 18 months and it produced quite good coffee, but it's a machine that's very critical on grind, tamping and water temperature.

My machine is most fussy about fineness of the grind - too fine, and no water runs through. I regularly buy coffee from the Monmouth coffee house, but being without a grinder have to get them to grind it for me. This tends to be a bit hit and miss as sometimes the grinds are too fine. To compensate I have to mix the good stuff with some coarser supermarket bought coffee, just to get water to run through. However, once this happy balance has been achieved I regularly produce shots which look like the one in the picture. I thought that this consistency has something to do with the crema enhancer? The shots themselves are often quite bitter, even when made solely with the Monmouth coffee (I usually buy the espresso beans). Is the bitterness more to do with the freshness of the grind than anything else?
LisaB

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Do you drink espresso exclusivley? Or is it a base for other drinks?

I mostly drink lattes, and struggle with my Krups cappucino attachment which sucks milk through a tube and spits out some unappealing bubbly stuff. I don't think you are supposed to use the steam wand without the attachment, but if you detach it you are basically left with a metal tube with a hole in the end! Does anyone know of any way of modifying it?
LisaB

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm

LisaB wrote:
Do you drink espresso exclusivley? Or is it a base for other drinks?

I mostly drink lattes, and struggle with my Krups cappucino attachment which sucks milk through a tube and spits out some unappealing bubbly stuff. I don't think you are supposed to use the steam wand without the attachment, but if you detach it you are basically left with a metal tube with a hole in the end! Does anyone know of any way of modifying it?

hehe, a metal tube with a hole at the end is the ideal device for frothing milk! depends on the size of the hole though and the lenghth of the tube... :wink:
I'm sad to say though, if lattes are your weapon of choice then you may not be happy until you've upgraded to an E61 HX machine.... I did say you were at the top of the slippery slope! :D
scook94

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 10:43 pm

hehe, a metal tube with a hole at the end is the ideal device for frothing milk! depends on the size of the hole though and the lenghth of the tube...

LOL see how much I don't know?! The tube has rubber screw on nozzle thing, with a small hole in the end about the size of biro nib. The tube isn't very long at all - probably about 3-4 cms, but I could probably use it with a small jug

BTW, an E61 HX isn't a machine i'm familiar with (surprise, surprise) and google isn't being very helpful. Can anyone direct me to come pics? :wink:
LisaB

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 pm

scook wrote
Is the bitterness more to do with the freshness of the grind than anything else?

Some Baristas state that coffee 'goes off' after it's been ground for a few minutes. I'm not familiar with Monmouth blends, but sometimes, beans that have been roasted light, may have a slightly acidic taste. Some people love this taste, but others (unfairly) refer to this acidic taste as 'bitter'. Here's a link to about 15 pics, which colour is closest th MC's espresso blend?
http://tinyurl.com/aeqkm
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 pm

which colour is closest th MC's espresso blend?

I would say its about a 13
LisaB

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm

LisaB wrote:[BTW, an E61 HX isn't a machine i'm familiar with (surprise, surprise) and google isn't being very helpful. Can anyone direct me to come pics? :wink:

That's a generic term for a type of technology, rather than a specific machine.
This may explain further http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html
scook94

Postby Davec » Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm

LisaB wrote:
hehe, a metal tube with a hole at the end is the ideal device for frothing milk! depends on the size of the hole though and the lenghth of the tube...

LOL see how much I don't know?! The tube has rubber screw on nozzle thing, with a small hole in the end about the size of biro nib. The tube isn't very long at all - probably about 3-4 cms, but I could probably use it with a small jug

BTW, an E61 HX isn't a machine i'm familiar with (surprise, surprise) and google isn't being very helpful. Can anyone direct me to come pics? :wink:

Couple of reviews for 2 of the many E61 machines out there with pictures

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/vivi%20cl ... d%20v5.pdf

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/Andreja%2 ... d%20v5.pdf

For specific information on how many HX machines work (click the picture to get a clearer view):
http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/HX-description-2.htm

Hope it helps clear up the mystery.
Davec

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun May 07, 2006 11:17 pm

LisaB wrote
I would say its about a 13
That colour IMO is a good espresso roast, we can therefore eliminate under-roasting and possible acidity.
Tomorrow, I'll dig my Krups 2020 out from the loft and see if I can reproduce the Johnny Kent shots on it ....... I will report back.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Blimey, this is all getting very technical. Please don't forget that a) I am a woman and am therefore pre-programmed not to understand how any electrical object works (in my case this does include wiring a plug and connecting the speakers up to the hifi); and b) I am new to this and have only just realised that a metal tube with a hole in the end is the ideal tool with which to froth milk (i thought it was something much more complicated).

But, hey! The HX machines are very sexy and I may well come back to this thread to read more once my knowledge is a little more advanced :P
LisaB

Postby LisaB » Sun May 07, 2006 11:28 pm

I'll dig my Krups 2020 out from the loft and see if I can reproduce the Johnny Kent shots on it

You really don't have to go to so much trouble on my account! But if you don't mind, I really would appreciate the help :D Thank you!
LisaB

Postby Davec » Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 pm

LisaB wrote:Blimey, this is all getting very technical. Please don't forget that a) I am a woman and am therefore pre-programmed not to understand how any electrical object works (in my case this does include wiring a plug and connecting the speakers up to the hifi); and b) I am new to this and have only just realised that a metal tube with a hole in the end is the ideal tool with which to froth milk (i thought it was something much more complicated).

But, hey! The HX machines are very sexy and I may well come back to this thread to read more once my knowledge is a little more advanced :P

Well I try not to make any assumptions, there are many technical women around. The HX machines in many respects are cheaper to use...but of course very expensive and way beyond your current budget of £200.

But hey....at least there are pictures :wink:
Davec

PreviousNext

Return to Open House