coffee experience

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

coffee experience

Postby stevem » Fri May 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Hello,

I think this is a great site but I must say I feel a little intimidated when I look at the forums etc. there is so much knowledge and enthusiasm out there! I don't really know much about coffee or the machines and admit that I get confused. I recently bought some green beans and roasted them on my oven, ground them in a friend's old hand grinder with not bad result - better than Sainsbury's own blend which I normally drink. Anyway, it has given me the urge to improve.
Are there any shows or tastings coming up in UK where I can speak to people who really know about coffee and the equipment before I spend money on things I really know nothing about.

Thanks
stevem

Postby badwolf » Fri May 05, 2006 1:07 pm

as luck would have it we're meeting in halifax tomorrow:)

i'm sure you'll be really welcome if you are within striking distance and have the afternoon free
badwolf

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi :D . Please don't feel intimidated, there is nothing to worry about - most of us are mad anyway :wink: . Seriously though, everyone is really friendly around here and it's about the coffee not any one person's knowledge. We all share :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby BazBean » Fri May 05, 2006 5:40 pm

Welcome Guest.
Thats the great thing about coffee .. even us new guys can pass on a reccomendation or something new to some of the "grand old masters" in here....... they will however pretend they knew it allready ....lol

you have allready done more than i did before becoming a member so dont worry.. where abouts are you anyhow?

Pull up a chair and join the rest of us coffee nutters
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Guest » Sun May 07, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks for your replies. I'm in Birmingham, Badwolf, so a bit too far but many thanks for the invite anyway.
I was looking on web yesterday and found London School of Coffee does various courses for novices and upwards. I'm sure someone from TMC must have been on a course or know a bit about them. Can you recommend?

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 9:57 am

I've been on one of their courses and they are excellent. It so happens that the people there are also friends, but that doesn’t take away from how knowledgeable they are. We had a TMC event there a couple of years ago where they did a tasting and presentation, which was Great fun, but came at a price.

When you say you want a course is it to get into the business or is it to just expand your knowledge?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Sun May 07, 2006 10:54 am

Mainly just to expand my knowledge - and broaden my palate. I owned a chocolate shop several years ago and hope to open another one soon and I suppose I could sell coffee as well so I suppose the more I know about coffee the more opportunity it would give me to do that but at the moment it's really for enjoyment.

Postby BazBean » Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Hey guest...... Wanna trade
you teach me Choccys ......i teach you coffee?
are you near Yorkshire by any chance

Barry
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby AlanP » Sun May 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Anonymous wrote:I owned a chocolate shop several years ago and hope to open another one soon and I suppose I could sell coffee as well

Coffee and chocolate...?
Chocolate and coffee...?
A match made in heavenImage

I think you could be on your way to making some good friends here.
Alan... :D
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Guest » Sun May 07, 2006 5:52 pm

Bazbean, you probably know a lot more about coffee than I know about chocolate but a seriously good site for chocolate is:

http://www.seventypercent.com

Their information and forums are first rate IMO.
Anyway, after what Steve wrote I think I may try and get on a beginner's course at the London School of Coffee as I've got a couple of months of free time to kill. If I do, I'll let you know how I got on.

Steve

Return to Open House