Compak grinders ?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Compak grinders ?

Postby awaiting invite :) » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi! i thought id ask in here as im still awaiting a reply about joining.. :)

I got an offer to get hold of a Compak K5 grinder for a steal of a price... but cant find any info on them hardly reguarding quality of grind/performance? what machines are they comparable to?

At the minute im using a starbucks barista which has been modified to produce a finer grind,,, will i see a big improvement over this? i know alot of people cant say enough good things about the rancilio rocky,,,,,, and im kinda hoping the Compak may even outperform this considering its retail price.....

Although its not stepless and doesent come with the titanium plates as standard... is there any other differnces between the K5 and the K6 model? (the K6 being a rebadged Wega Max 6.4 i believe, which i aslo can find preciuos little info on performance quality.. )

I saw someone on these boards called RobC who suplys these comercialy.... maybe he or someone else can shed some light on these grinders and my other questions :) thnx in advance for any help :)
awaiting invite :)

Postby bainesy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I've got a Compak K6 (I think it is - the burrs are 64mm, which, according to this info makes it a K6). I'm not sure how different it is to the K%

As you say, they're also badged as Wega Max grinders (Pennine Tea and Coffee sell them).

I think mine's fantastic. Although I'm not sure the grind quality is a noticeable improvement over the Rocky, it is much faster (takes about 5-6 seconds to grind for a double shot). I never did the mod on my Dualit grinder, but the difference between that and the Rocky and the Compak was HUGE.

If it's a good price you've been quoted, I say go for it - the only caveat being the size. Mine's enormous. And pink.
Attachments
compak2.jpg
compak2.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
Iberital 1-group, Compak grinder, Gaggia Classic, Rocky, 2 x Europiccola, 2 x Zassenhaus...got...to...stop...collecting
bainesy

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:42 am

Just to let you know guest Phil the administaer is away for the weekend so it may be a couple of days until its sorted.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:10 am

ah thanks alot for letting me know :0)

Postby lukas » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:19 am

But welcome anyway! :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:58 pm

lol bainsy thats a beast :) exsactly the same as mine except mines a more "discerning" colour.. lol oh and the fact that i paid an absolute pittance for mine.... still in shock i got it so cheap....... even if it is the K5 model...... my brother on the other hand got in b4 me and bagged a K6 for a rediculously obscene price of just £75 !! and its almost unused!!!! ( my k5 was even cheaper!! ) lol

now i just gotta hunt down a espresso machine to pair it with :)

thnx for the welcome!!

Postby bainesy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:25 pm

That's a great price, for a lot of grinder. Er...but I got mine in a deal with an almost new two-group Marlinc/Iberital and extras for £350, so don't try muscling in on my bragging rights :wink:

Seriously though, well done. All you need to do is check the burrs on your grinders (mine were as new) and you're good to go, even if for the time being it'll be a tad overkill for french press :lol:

Good luck with searching for a machine
Bainesy

(and advance welcome to TMC - I'm sure Phil will see you right soon)
Iberital 1-group, Compak grinder, Gaggia Classic, Rocky, 2 x Europiccola, 2 x Zassenhaus...got...to...stop...collecting
bainesy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:38 am

Welcome to TMC! :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:48 am

Yeah, welcome.... and when your joining is official we'll all drop over for a cup or two ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:33 pm

heh,, your all welcome... the more the better... at least 1 of u can hopefully show me how to make a decent cup of coffee!! lol

all i need now is to get a espresso machine! :)

Return to Open House