what you need - industrial design student wants to know

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:59 pm

Oh come on Stéphane, your memory can't be that bad.... what about my soooper doooper cup warmer (taken from my useless gadgets thread)...
http://www.garraways.co.uk/?product_id= ... e_id=50597
:wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Belgik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:02 pm

Gosh, Gouezeri, I just pushed the "order" button for you! BTW, do those cups fall out automatically when you open the door?
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:09 pm

open the door? eh? what? you don't want to do that, you'd be letting all the heat out and your cups would go cold!
Seeing as you're being sooo generous, you can get me one of Jumper's foamers too (note the price!):
http://www.mrcappuccino.com/foamer1.htm
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Belgik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Look, Gouze, whaddayawant, hey? Don't forget you're buying perfect hygiene! That being said, I know other ways of making foam, too... But, for the moment, I'll settle for Giotto's foam.
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby kingseven » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:Oh 2 more things I forgot earlier... when you switch on the brew switch/lever, it automatically starts and displays a "seconds" timer until you turn off the brew switch again...

Don't know if it's feasible, but a temp sensor for steaming milk so you know the temp to stop stretching and when to stop heating the milk (for those who can't rely on their own built-in hand sensors :p )

In a rush to sign in again,
bean_believer :)

Some of our machines do shot timing for you, and some of the new Cimbalis do milk temp (but not so well - I had one great cappuccino from one and then a woefully overcooked one from another.

Our machines also have a swipe card for a barista and will then log all their shot times that can be downloaded and analysed remotely. If you want that sort of thing....

They see more use in Spain than the UK.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Raf » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Our machines also have a swipe card for a barista and will then log all their shot times that can be downloaded and analysed remotely. If you want that sort of thing....

Never thought I'd say this about an espresso machine, but it does sound like overkill... :?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby mhuk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:31 pm

That's more expensive than my oven! (Jura Cup Warmer)

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Re: what you need - industrial design student wants to know

Postby MKSwing » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:35 pm

MKSwing wrote:Hi there,
It is impossible to find a cup warmer for coffee machine that are able to warm the cups.

Of course you should read "that are UNable to warm the cups" :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby MKSwing » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

gouezeri wrote:Oh come on Stéphane, your memory can't be that bad.... what about my soooper doooper cup warmer (taken from my useless gadgets thread)...
http://www.garraways.co.uk/?product_id= ... e_id=50597
:wink:

Hum ok, so let me reformulate the idea :)
I want a cup warmer that will let me the ability to use my kitchen 8)
.... What am I saying ?!? That will let my WIFE the ability to use the kitchen.
(Why do I see cups flying ?)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby kingseven » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Raf wrote:

Never thought I'd say this about an espresso machine, but it does sound like overkill... :?

Thats not even the half of it....

If you are using a free loan machine you can send a card with the coffee that will only let the machine make as many drinks as you've sent. If they cheat and start using other coffee once the allowance is up the machine locks up. You then go to site, find your coffee left over and know they are cheating.

It also means you can set ideal shot times, temps and volumes from one laptop and change all the machines in your group at once should your blend change slightly. I could go on but it is all for different markets to here.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Raf » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:20 pm

My, my. So it's not just iTunes and Sony that use proprietary products...

It also means you can set ideal shot times, temps and volumes from one laptop and change all the machines in your group at once should your blend change slightly. I could go on but it is all for different markets to here.

I'm very impressed by all the stuff that these machines are capable of, but really you would need a grinder that's a sophisticated as that. Imagine a grinder that allows you to determine the exact diameter of a grain of coffee. You'd just punch the number of the blend in, and it would automatically get the grind right. Of course, it would have to know the exact composition of a blend, the ambient temp/humidity,.... Too many variables, I guess.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:44 pm

kingseven wrote:and some of the new Cimbalis do milk temp (but not so well - I had one great cappuccino from one and then a woefully overcooked one from another.

They see more use in Spain than the UK.

Maybe coz the temp sensor was set to level "vaporise"? :evil:

I don't need the other fancy stuff on the coffee machines... swipe cards only for the POS.

I'd rather they sink bad shots and not worry about machines locking up or being accused of giving away drinks. 8)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Feasibility

Postby blackice » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:Oh 2 more things I forgot earlier... when you switch on the brew switch/lever, it automatically starts and displays a "seconds" timer until you turn off the brew switch again...

Don't know if it's feasible, but a temp sensor for steaming milk so you know the temp to stop stretching and when to stop heating the milk (for those who can't rely on their own built-in hand sensors :p )

In a rush to sign in again,
bean_believer :)

It's very feasible. The Verismo superautomatic used in most Starbucks has such a feature. It has one steaming rod, and one other with a thermocouple which senses the temperature and stops steaming at 65 degrees celsius. Also no burning steaming rods can be built using teflon insulation inside.
blackice

Postby Andretti » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:57 pm

What happened to Hovav, the student of industrial design?
Now: Fiorenzato Bricoletta plumbed in with rotary, Mazzer Mini M, Cappuccinolover: Barbera Classica with goat milk! Before: Fiorenzato Bricoletta tank,La Pavoni Espresso Lusso, Gaggia MDF
Andretti

Postby Joris » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:14 pm

He got lost in the Evil Woods of TMC Talk ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

PreviousNext

Return to Open House