Guardian article

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Guardian article

Postby Shannocita » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Did anyone read the article in todays Guardian about Venezuela's coffee crisis?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/venezuela/sto ... 02,00.html

Also did anyone see the BBC Holiday program last month about holidays on the Organic coffee farm in Nicaragua. It is owned by "the people" and looks fantastic. I am trying to convince my boyfriend to go.

Shannoncita
Shannocita

Postby mhuk » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:02 pm

I can see why you posted this as a guest- the ANPR crew would expel you for reading a lefty website ;)

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby RobC » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Their are coffee farms aplenty, rather then go to a commercially advertised one which no doubt is "doctored", it would be more productive to visit a true plantation that receives very little for their effort. It may not be a package tour, but just by turning up and taking an interest you could make a real difference - and then post your experience!
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Shannoncita » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 pm

I didn't have the impression that it was commercial farm, and definitely not a package deal (that's my worst nightmare) it was some kind of co-op left over from the Sandinistas.

My brother, who is working for a NGO in the region says one of his colleagues visited a few years ago and had a great time.

Nothing wrong with a lefty!

Shannoncita
Shannoncita

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 pm

RobC wrote:Their are coffee farms aplenty, rather then go to a commercially advertised one which no doubt is "doctored", it would be more productive to visit a true plantation that receives very little for their effort.

Hey Rob,
Last I heard you were trying to turn the Coffee Shed into a Centre Parcs :P :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby phil » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:30 pm

Well as a Guardian reader myself .... :wink:

Hey Shannoncita, you're a very welcome regular visitor to "Open House". Why don't you drop me a line and I can make your membership of the group "official"? :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Open House