Gaggia Paros Froth problem

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Paros Froth problem

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 am

Firstly, I'm very impressed to have found a web-hosted forum for coffee lovers, strikes me as an excellent idea! I'll be nosing around here for a while I think... :)

Anyway, primary reason that I stumbled onto this site was that I have a problem with my Gaggia Paros, bought new early this year (I think). It has stopped making nice froth: the steam wand is completely standard and I have cleaned it carefully, plus undone the plastic parts to clean those individually too, but still it just blows steam into the milk, rather than frothing it as it used to.
Hopefully this is a really noddy problem and someone can please put me straight, since it seems unlikely to be a fault with the wand.
Yours

Marcus

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:35 pm

Have you descaled it as well?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:58 pm

no, do you mean the whole machine or just the steam wand part? Neither have been descaled, but as I live in the NorthWest of UK, thought limescale wasn't really an issue in our water...

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 pm

It may not be the issue, but being ultra cautious I would still descale anyway, especially as it would rule out a potential cause for your problem. Descaling fluid would run from the boiler through the wand during the process, so both would be dealt with at the same time.

Of course you may have temperature ot pressure issues and I would bow to others that are more knowledgeable on that score. Maybe SimonP will be on later - he can help more on that score than me. Hang in there, someone on TMC will be able to get to the bottom of it for you :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:29 pm

Scott or K7 might have an idea about this, both being used to gaggias. However, further to "SpongeBoy's" suggestion, it might need a good scale and clean for stale milk (I know you've already given it a bit of a clean, but you'd be amazed how far the stuff can travel and how stubborn it is to remove). Something like the "puly milk cleaner" might help as it is made for auto machines and frothing devices. Oh and if you descale use something tartric acid based for the alu boiler in the gaggias. Yell if you need references as to where to get any of this stuff from.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 pm

WHERE CAN I GET SOME OF THAT STUFF FROM PLEASE?

Well, you said to 'yell'... :lol:

thanks in advance,
Marcus

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Try the Mirthfull Mule, will PM you.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Whoops - can't PM you because you are a guest. So at the risk of the Mods' wrath, here is a link:
http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/shop/custo ... php?cat=15
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:41 pm

but still it just blows steam into the milk,

Has the power or strength of the steam diminished, as the result of a blockage?
If the answer is "no" it could be the milk, now that the cows are on Winter fodder.
Have you tried changing brands? Cravendale milk is worth a try.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:20 am

Re. type of milk - we mostly get supermarket semi skimmed or skimmed, and I noticed in the past that semi was much better than skimmed, though of late it hasn't been able to do semi skimmed. So, the fat content of the milk makes it easier to froth then?

Postby kingseven » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:56 am

The most common problem with Gaggia is the frothing attachement. If you take off the end of it, the kind of plastic sleeve and look in the tip you should see and little circle of plastic in the middle. If that has been pushed up into the sleeve, rather than protruding slightly then you may have broken it whilst cleaning it and they tend not to froth well.

You can get a replacement from the helpline. They will try and charge you but I would always try and angle for a free one.

If that isn't the problem then check you pressure - is it where it should be? Is it as strong as it was?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:04 pm

Guest wrote
So, the fat content of the milk makes it easier to froth then?

On the rare occasions I do cappas, I find full fat Cravendale to be the best in Winter.
David Schoeman of Coffee Vivace, suggestd low fat milk is the most difficult to stretch.
Marcus, it's well worth trying a half liter of whole milk from a different supermarket - if only to elliminate any steam wand or boiler suspicions.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:53 pm

Thanks peeps, I shall investigate tomorrow, and also get some 'proper' milk to try out if that helps.

Postby jonlewis » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:54 am

Noticed recently that I cannot froth Organic milk.... my machine works fine with normal Semi Skimmed. So milk can definatley be a major factor....

All I get is HUGE air bubbles and it kind of collapses after a few seconds
jonlewis

Postby KateM » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:10 am

Don't froth often but no trouble with organic milk as long as it's Waitrose with a quick turnaround, freshness seems to be key.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Next

Return to Open House