Machine Selection - HELP please

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:27 am

Johnca
Build quality on my Isomac grinder appears to be of 'domestic' quality, I get the impression it wont last for ever. What the quality of the Zaffiro like?
My aim is to buy a machine that produces perfect cappuccinos

I'm not techy enough to look under the bonnet of the Zaffiro and determine 'good build quality', suffice to say that it's performed flawlessly for 6 months ..... but time will tell.
DaceC has a Zaffiro and (I believe) is doing a review on the Rituale and can probably give an Isomac overview.
Although the HX type are better suited for milk foaming, I did read somewhere, that some models needed to be 'flushed through' prior to the shot, to cool down the group?? This strikes me as a bit daft, if you're looking for perfect temp control. It's a pity the LS S1, is outside your price range.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby HughF » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Almost all E61 (and other?) HX machines need a flush after idling for several minutes - the water in the HX tube gets too hot - the target brew temperature is set to be achieved during a particular journey time for brewing water through the boiler in the HX tube; if it stays in the HX tube too long it becomes too close to the boiler temperature which in an HX is meant for steaming not brewing.

The S1 does benefit from a flush also - but it goes cold after idling. It doesn't need the fine calculation of flush water quantity that many HXs do though (some use it as an indirect way of adjusting shot temperature on HXs).
On the S1, I just pull a blank double shot (which also warms the cup) after I finish grinding for the upcoming shot and by the time I dose and tamp (I'm pretty slow as I use a 0.1 gram scale) it's perfect. If you **don't** do this, sometimes a shot will be too cold - you'll see the temperature LEDs start to flash during the shot to show this and the shot will be a bit sour.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby RobC » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 pm

As far as I am aware most hx machines remain fairly stable, but for excellent quality it is always worth running through a shot of water through the portafilt into the brew cup to get everything upto temp. I have produced consistent, quality (IMHO) shots using the mini nova by leaving the portafilt locked in when not in use with the old grounds still in. I only knock them out prior to making the next drink.

I keep banging on about this, and most of the regular posters on here will probably sigh and go and brew up, but with any portafilt based machine temperature is ssssooooo important. Lock the portafilt in while it heats up, run water through the portafilt into the cup you intend to use so that is warmed as well. First brew of the day donate to the sink - it's known as seasoning and will elimanate old grounds from the grinder (unless you have your own methods). I still find it can take upto to four shots to be pulled before the mini nova gets upto perfect temp and extracts as I would like.

I do remember a thread on here where someone had flushed a hx machine prior to pulling a shot because it had sat a while and the initial water through would have been stale from sitting in the HX, not sure you can hold this against them - just the nature of the beast.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby scottwhite » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 pm

I have an Iberital lanna 1 group for home use and I would say no way is it too big, luxurious yes but you need something like that if you are serious, also has the E61 head you are after.

The other point to consider is that the machine if looked after will probably last you the rest of your life, so it's not that expensive.

Vibratory pumps are not want you want if you're splashing out a bit of cash.
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby halfabus » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:30 pm

The Izzo Alex is a rotary pump, E61, hand fill machine. It's lower powered but if the element power is being equated to faster warm-up then this'll not make any difference on an E61 machine where you can barely get away with a 10 minute warm-up even if you cheat and flush the group to speed things up. (The group heating is thermosyphon only)

If you want to push the boat out you could blow your budget and get one with wood...

www.bellabarista.co.uk have a brief write-up.
halfabus

Previous

Return to Open House