what to buy

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

what to buy

Postby cath » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:30 pm

Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? I've done lots of research/read reviews etc and the Rancilio Silvia seems to come out tops but it also looks very complicated to use. Am I just getting bogged down with minor points or is it really worth it. I have been using a Dualit and found it very unreliable and badly made and I don' t want to make another mistake but I'm deserate for a good coffee!
Thanks
Catherine :roll:
cath

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:55 pm

Catherine,

I don't think the Rancilio is difficult to use, the only thing is that the pregrinded supermarket coffee can not be used because it is grinded to coarse to give any resistance to the pressure of the machine. But if you want a decent espresso you need the pressure of a machine like the Rancilio. Pregrinded coffee at a specialty store is OK, if you tell them you have a Rancilio. Furthermore the machine is easy to use. Not more difficult then any other machine or the more cheap machines. Maybe the full automatic machines are more easy, but more expensive and the quality of the coffee is not great. Definitely not at a par level with the Rancilio.

Conclusion: The Rancilio is not very expensive, easy to use and the quality is great. So value for money wise the machine is very good machine.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:29 pm

thanks steven. Any suggestions on best place to buy one?

Postby charliebrown » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Where art thou Catherine?
charliebrown

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:00 pm

In wet, chilly London

Postby charliebrown » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:09 pm

How about here

The Drury Tea & Coffee Company
3, New Row
Covent Garden
London
WC2N 2LH
View Street Map

Tube Leicester Square,
Covent Garden

Telephone: 020 7836 1960
http://drury.uk.com/

I bought a Rancilio Silva from them about two weeks ago (mail order), upgraded from a Dualit 84009, and I am now making much nicer espresso with great crema, but I would re-iterate the need for a good grinder.

Hope this is some help. I think that a search of the forum will probably give you another retailer, but I had no problem with Drury.[/url]
charliebrown

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:56 pm

Cath... Drury is the easiest place to get a Silvia... however... if you're picking it up yourself, you may want to avoid catching the tube at busy times as it comes in a bigish box and weighs (from memory) somewhere over 15kg.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Return to Open House