White bits

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

White bits

Postby dogdays » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:20 pm

Hello!

I'm a very new newbie to the world of real coffee so here's your chance to feel superior and be helpful at the same time. I need some advice. I've bought some green Kenya Peaberry and tried a couple of ways of roasting - 2 or 3 times in a popcorn roaster and once in a fan oven at full blast (about 230 c) for about 5-6 mins and then transferring them to the popcorn thingy for a final minute to get the chaff off - or so I thought!
Both ways I've done it they've come out OK except that where the bean splits (is there a proper name for this?) it appears woody-coloured. Maybe it's down to the type of bean ( I've looked at some pre-roasted beans I bought from Nairobi Coffee Company, not Peaberry, and they don't have this pale appearance) - or more probably it's down to me. After I grind them the coffee is full of light coloured specks. I use a cafetiere so it's no real problem as they're filtered out but I'd be interested to know what it is.

Many thanks
Steve
dogdays

Postby HughF » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:04 pm

I think the split area being that colour is normal for Kenyan beans.

If there is something much lighter than the split area showing up when you grind it may be the chaff. But if it's not the chaff, you may be roasting too quickly, leading to the inside of the bean being under-roasted and pale. If this is the case, there are quite a few popper-modifying Web pages around.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby dogdays » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks Hugh

I'll do what you suggest. I've got to buy some more beans soon so I'll try a different variety. I must admit I was a little over-enthusiastic on my first few attempts so I'll "slow my machine right down" (as Captain Beefheart used to sing it).

All the best
Steve
dogdays

Postby simonp » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:20 pm

I think this cahff in the crack is quite normal. It seems to happen with higher grown coffees. It is just a bit of chaffe that won't let go as the bean doesn't open up that much. You do see more chaff in the ground coffee, but I don't think it affects the taste really.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Open House