Bean to cup

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bean to cup

Postby guest » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:20 am

Looking at a bean to cup machine.

Originally concidering Seimens TK64001 and Gaggia Titanium, however the Jura F50 has now been added to the list.

We want the machine for Cappuccino as well.

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Postby theDirector » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:42 pm

I confess...I do have a bean to coffee machine!
I have the Gaggia Synchrony Digital - good machine, moderate crema, but the machine does not really get the water hot enough for excellent crema. I did initially have probs, as I have done with many electric coffee machines, because I am situated in a very hard water area - so the element soon packs up. When I moved over to soft water, the machine was fine - but of course this has a effect on the flavour of the coffee. Great machines for convenience, and for the production of a good cup...obviously if you are seeking utter perfection, this will not be the machine for you.
theDirector

Postby tisri » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:57 am

I've had a Gaggia Syncrony Compact Digital for nearly two years now. Like theDirector says you get something offering huge convenience but the price you pay is that the machine does everything for you. For my purposes this suits me just fine, simply because I don't want to have to deal with the whole process of grinding, tamping etc for myself.

I use softened water in mine so descaling is never an issue. Don't use reverse osmosis filtered water - I used to do this until Phil pointed out how it affects the flavour. I didn't believe him so tried it for myself and found he was right.

For cappuccino check out the convenience of the steam wand - I've found the one on the Gaggia is fiddly to use because it doesn't pivot very far. I hardly ever use it but if you're using it a lot you'll get annoyed with it.

Incidentally if your budget extends to it look at some of the higher range Jura machines that do one-touch cappuccino (expect to pay £1000-1500 or more) - they have to be the ultimate in laziness!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 am

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered the Jura F50 with the Cappuccino attachment, burget would not extend to the higher range machines and I could not justify spending £1500 on one.

Will see how I get on with it when it arrives hopefully this morning.

Return to Open House