I-Roast lid pops off...

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I-Roast lid pops off...

Postby joe » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:56 pm

Fantastic roasts since Dom from the board got me sorted with programming the I-Roast machine :-) ...but now the lid keeps popping off half way through the roast. Anyone else had this problem? What's the best solution.
Cheers
Joe
joe

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:01 pm

which bit? the whole lid as it screws onto the pot/jar?
I've had this happen to me just once in the whole time I've been using my I-R (since early jan).
If you think the lid is too loose, there is a screw at the top of the handle, loosen this, push the metal strip which surrounds the pot down then tighten it up. Sometimes I can't be bothered to get a screw driver out, so I just push down on each of the little tabs. Something which may also make a difference is a smoke vent... the added weight may help to stop it from turning if it is a little loose.
This is a minor design fault, if you ask me. Personally, I would have placed a strip of rubber under the metal band to stop it from slipping on the glass, which it is bound to do.
Let us know how you get on. Oh and it is about time you signed up :-P
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:14 pm

yes the very tip top lid...it's happened the last 3 times I have roasted. Cheers for the advice, I will give that all a go.
Yes...guess I should have 'signed up' by now...still not quite convinced I have anything to offer you all!
Joe

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:35 pm

Hey Joe,
"having something to offer" isn't the point... the discussion and sense of community is. Even the most simple of questions can result in an interesting discussion (have a look at some of todays threads). Who knows, somebody may now come up with a better way of attaching the I-R lid as a result of your question. You'd also be able to see all the things we've said about you in the Members clubroom ;-)
D
Gouezeri

Postby AlanP » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:00 pm

I had a problem with the larger part of the chaff collector lid coming loose,I tried various solutions and modifications none of which were a permanent success.
I now use a curtain spring with the plastic covering removed,it's a bit Heath-Robinson but does mean I can walk away and leave it for a few minutes.
Alan
Attachments
I Roast+spring copy.JPG
I Roast+spring copy.JPG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:04 am

that looks interesting...another option to consider...next roast due tomorrow, will give al this a go.
Aside from the lid popping off, I also seem to be hearing a slightly different nois coming from the machine of late...it seems to drone more...any experience of this?

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 am

on the way to joining by the way Dom...:-)
Joe

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:40 am

Hmm, different I-Roast noises... could be different bean types... it does sometimes seem to be a different pitch of noise (fan changes aside), but then my ears aren't that good at these kind of noises (from diving), so that's and entirely subjective remark.
Gouezeri

Postby theDirector » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:01 pm

i had thought the motor might be iffy...a deifinite change in tone over the last month...then the lid popping started...had wondered it there was any connection...
theDirector

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:25 pm

well it does vibrate quite a bit, so it may be to do with what surface it is on and how well the lid is attached... beyond that, seems like one of those "wait and see" problems ;-)
Gouezeri

Return to Open House