Rancilio Silvia needs help

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby phil » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:28 pm

To members and non-members alike:

I just received this plea for help from Glenn. Please pitch in and help him out.

Cheers

Phil

Glenn wrote:Hi,

Several years ago my wife was upset to find I had brought home a hot italian beauty, Miss Sylvia. Miss Sylvia has been making fine coffee for me every morning and lunch for the past 5 years, but our recent move to Luxembourg seems to have put undo stress on her. She needs some of the electronics changed, and, being new in town, I don't know where to turn.

Where in Luxembourg (or close by) can I get Miss Sylvia the urgent attention she deserves?

More specifically: On the top of the boiler are two sensors (Or is it three? I know she has three thermostats). One of them had started to leak, allowing a short-circut over the small isolating ceramic. The ceramic is now cracked, and the sensor (or both of them) probably needs to be replaced. As mentioned, they are old, and both show minor leakage.

Alternately, is it possible to just order the parts and do the repair myself? I'm familiar with working with electronics/wiring, and the warrenty is long expired.

+glenn
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:23 pm

Is that a leak of water? If so there is a problem as they only sit on top of the boiler. Or are they leaking some fluid from inside? The thermostats are easy to replace and are readily available from Rancilio spares dealers. All you need is a screwdriver, and maybe some heatsink compound if what is on therer has dried up.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:31 pm

If you need parts, conact Henk at www.esw.nl . I believe they do Rancilio and they are always most helpful. Henk is a TMC member.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Ian » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:55 am

simonp wrote:Is that a leak of water? If so there is a problem as they only sit on top of the boiler. Or are they leaking some fluid from inside?

Probably something lost in the translation there, probably means current leak i.e. short circuit.

My old lecturers used to use this term when talking about faults in HT systems, I'd call it a short 'cos I'm a youngster see? :wink:
Ian

Re: Rancilio Silvia needs help

Postby simonp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:28 pm

Ian wrote:
simonp wrote:Is that a leak of water? If so there is a problem as they only sit on top of the boiler. Or are they leaking some fluid from inside?

Probably something lost in the translation there, probably means current leak i.e. short circuit.

My old lecturers used to use this term when talking about faults in HT systems, I'd call it a short 'cos I'm a youngster see? :wink:

Ah, didn't think of it that way, makes sense now. We still use the term leak in electronics, like capacitor or diode leakage of current.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

My shorted sylvia

Postby Glenn » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi,

It is my Ms. Sylvia that shorted out. I put two pictures on my web page:
folk.uio.no/~davidgl/leak/leak.html

That was leak as in leaking water. It was wet where the short circuit took place, which is the most likely explination for the short-circuit. The flash of light was rather bright; I'm glad Syvlia had her top on when I hit the switch that morning.

Thank you for your tips!

+glenn
Glenn

Postby simonp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:42 pm

So it was a water leak, yes that is the heating element connections, looks like you will need to replace whatever it is that seals it in, and quite quickly too! I'd give it a go at doing yourself, the parts are probably quite cheap.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Open House