Decaf Green Beans

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Decaf Green Beans

Postby Bresh » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi all

can anyone recommend a good source of decaf green beans in the UK. So far I've located companies supplying:

Decaf Costa Rica La Laguna Estate
Decaf Sumatra Mandheling
Decaf Colombian

I usually only buy 2-4Kg at a time so don't believe I could have beans decaffeinated for me. I don't want to have to wait for a small supply from the US so that I can try it and then place another order for my usual quantity.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Bresh

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:45 pm

lI suppose you already looked at: www.hasbean.co .uk and looked at the UK-links of this site:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... 92&meid=39

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Bresh » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm

Steve - HasBean is my current supplier of Decaf Sumatra. Excellent service however very limited decaf. I presume there just isn't enough demand. I'll start going through the suggested list. If all else fails perhaps if I can find enough people interested in importing larger quantities of decaf then I could look in to it.

Thanks.
Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini Doserless
Hottop

(2* Gaggia Classic in garage)
Bresh

Postby mattmills » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:37 am

There are a number of importers who have stocks of different decaffs, but at those levels then the likes of Hasbean, J. Gourmet etc are the best bet.
mattmills

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:43 pm

I would love to get my partner on these decaf beans...are they any good? Do they require a special kind of roasting?

Postby AlanP » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Decaf beans have very little chaf when roasted,this affects the heat generated when roasting (lower)
To compensate for this increase the amount of beans to 180grms,this has the effect of raising the temperature in the roasting chamber (I-roast)
Alternatively,cover half the top mesh screen with tin foil
Whichever method you use keep a watchful eye on the progress of the roast

Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:25 pm

thanks for the roasting tips...might give them a go...my partner is not keen on sumatra...whats the over all availability of decaf varieties

Return to Open House