Vibiemme Domobar Super - Boiler Pressure Gauge Setting?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Vibiemme Domobar Super - Boiler Pressure Gauge Setting?

Postby Cary » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:50 am

Hello,

I am a recent owner of a Vibiemme Domobar Super (Tanked Version) and have discovered this wonderful TMC Forum with so much information about Vibiemme. There is very little info about Vibiemme here in New Zealand and the Vibiemme manual is a little vague so I am hoping an expert here can help me.

Would anyone be able to advise me please what setting the boiler pressure gauge dial should be set at? Eg the gauge says 'Bar' and goes from 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5

Dial currently points to about the 1.5 mark

I know where to change the boiler pressure setting (dial through slot under the lid). The manual states that the resistance indicator light will go off when pressure of 1.1 is reached but other than that it is not clear what the ideal setting is to have the dial set to.

Thanks in advance!
Cary

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi Guest, most domestic HX users seem to set their machines somewhere in the 1.0 to 1.25 range. Of course it'll depend on the individual machine/beans/roast level/whatever, best to go by the taste of what is in the cup. Are you seeing really dark crema combined with bitterness?

My HX (not a Domobar) is currently hovering around 1.07 bar.Lowering the boiler pressure may have an effect on your flush quantity and also steaming power.

Cheers
Ian

Postby steves » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:55 pm

Cary

Personally, I reset the pressure for every shot, depending on coffee, degree of roast, relative humidity, phase of the moon... :wink:

But seriously, Ian is, of course, right. Probably somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3 is a good starting point - by all means go lower it if you want to - as Ian says, you'll sacrifice a little steaming power, but on the other you won't have to flush quite as much water through to cool the good old E-61 down sufficiently when it's been standing for any length of time.

Steve
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:28 am

Dear Ian and Steve,

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll slightly adjust the pressure and see how that goes.

We use a Mazzer Mini for a grinder. Mostly the crema we get is a light coloured crema. It comes out in thin trails and is quite thin in the cup. I dream of having a better crema but this has ,mostly eluded me so far. Seems to be a balancing act between getting it all right... I might have to also consider the phases of the moon ;-)

Thanks again, Cary

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:07 pm

You're more than welcome Cary

If you want us to get started on the crema issue, I'm sure we can oblige, though a bit more info would be useful. To start with, exactly what coffee are you using and what sort of shot times are you getting (for 50-60 ml using the double basket)? Most importantly, does the moon behave differently in the southern hemisphere?

Steve

Postby steves » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Oops, wasn't signed in, sorry. Forgot it would still let me post, being the guest forum. :oops:
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Return to Open House