Translate the term "Specialty Coffee Roaster" into

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 am

Jan, maybe if you explained your vision a bit more, you'd get some responses that fit closer to your ideals. So, if you can put in a paragraph, what you want your customers to "understand", we can try to extract & condense those thoughts :)

From what I gather now, you want to use a phrase via various advertising media (business cards, shop window, web) that conveys a unique selling point (USP) and distinguishes your brand identity to people who don't even realise specialty coffee exists never mind what it is. Is that correct? If so, than I like Jo2's flash of words.

Some other images just to see if this is along the lines... in English though, too late for me to translate:
    Travel/Taste the world of specially selected coffees / select coffees
    The "reserva" or "grand cru" of (world) coffees
On reflection, and I don't mean to be harsh, but does meesterbrander mean Roastmaster conveying expertise & eons of experience or do you have to be certified? If the former, and one has just started roasting, would that be a fair title to claim?

Hmm... don't know if it's allowable...
    de Michelin van koffiebonen, versgebrand
    Versgebrand, zoals het hoort / bedoeld
    Versgebrand exclusieve koffie, there's nothing better (if I translate, it's the same as Miele's USP)
    Versgebrand Special Select koffie

It's quite common to use English words in Dutch advertising, hence the "Special Select"; although I can understand if you prefer full Dutch.

For my shop, I'm trying to work out a bread analogy. Really, just can't beat freshly baked bread! *drool*. I just wish I was gifted enough to articulate that thought succinctly.

As usual, blabbed too much, so over and out for now,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby coffeefreak » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:59 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Jan, maybe if you explained your vision a bit more, you'd get some responses that fit closer to your ideals. So, if you can put in a paragraph, what you want your customers to "understand", we can try to extract & condense those thoughts :)

Well, it's hard to explain. What I want is to find the Dutch term of Specialty Coffee Roaster. That's why I put on this post.

From what I gather now, you want to use a phrase via various advertising media (business cards, shop window, web) that conveys a unique selling point (USP) and distinguishes your brand identity to people who don't even realise specialty coffee exists never mind what it is. Is that correct? If so, than I like Jo2's flash of words.

Well, since we have installed our own coffee roaster and have contact with other people who are in the coffee business all over Europe, we have the plan to transform our shop from regular retail coffe and tea store into a (there the term comes up again) Specialty Coffee Roasting Store. As all over the world coffee is a product people is interested in we over here in The Netherlands think of coffee as a secondary product.

But since the Barista championship, the Latte Art championship you see more and more media is giving attention to the product coffee. So in my opinion we are at the beginning of a coffee revolution in The Netherlands.

Because of this beginning revolution, everybody involved in coffee can have the benefits of the wareness of the product coffee and all the special coffee there is available around the world. Therefore you and Jo2 should be starting your business soon. It's alway's better to start at the beginning than jump on the running train.

Some other images just to see if this is along the lines... in English though, too late for me to translate:
    Travel/Taste the world of specially selected coffees / select coffees
    The "reserva" or "grand cru" of (world) coffees
On reflection, and I don't mean to be harsh, but does meesterbrander mean Roastmaster conveying expertise & eons of experience or do you have to be certified? If the former, and one has just started roasting, would that be a fair title to claim?

I like all the ideas given so for. One better than the other, but I'm in search of just a one liner which tell it all. Yes Brandmeester is something like the English Roastmaster. You don't need a certification to use this title, but suppose I will use something like that I suppose they (Brandmeester) will claim this title and tell me to stop using it.

Hmm... don't know if it's allowable...
    de Michelin van koffiebonen, versgebrand
    Versgebrand, zoals het hoort / bedoeld
    Versgebrand exclusieve koffie, there's nothing better (if I translate, it's the same as Miele's USP)
    Versgebrand Special Select koffie
It's quite common to use English words in Dutch advertising, hence the "Special Select"; although I can understand if you prefer full Dutch.

I know it's usual to use English, but I'm affraid common customers don't understand Specialty Coffee Roaster. That's why I look for the Dutch term for it if it's translatable into Dutch.

For my shop, I'm trying to work out a bread analogy. Really, just can't beat freshly baked bread! *drool*. I just wish I was gifted enough to articulate that thought succinctly.

So you're suffering with the same problem I have.

Thanks for this contribution to my post, but I still have to search for better or decide to use the English term.

Jan "Coffee Freak" Schuitemaker
Coffee roasted or green, it can be plesant or mean.
coffeefreak

Postby Jo2 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:19 pm

I'll just give it one more try...

"Koffie-speciaalbranderij... alleen zelf branden is verser!"

There... you have your translation and a one-liner all in one...
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:13 pm

I think you underestimate your country (wo)men. Most would understand "Special Select"... seeing how it's so close to "speciaal" and "selectie". If those words are italicised or bold or other font, the distinction would become obvious.

But this is what I mean about explaining what YOU want your customers to imagine. Repeating the same request doesn't clarify much. We all know you want to translate SCR. Obviously, we have a different sense of SCR. So what is your definition of SCR? That's why we keep coming up with stuff you're not happy with. If you don't know / can't explain how you want to direct your customers, then you must surely see the limits you set upon us as well. Just trying to help out, but very difficult with just the term and not your imagery behind it.

Please excuse me for speaking on behalf of others with all the "we" I had in there :oops:

So, without more from you, that's all I've got :cry:

Marcy *who just realised she's not signed in and too lazy now*

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:55 pm

Sorry to interrupt this post, but this is my thought about it.

Specialty Coffee Roaster is someone who is roasting coffee he or she special selected.

Those coffe can be selected by the roaster just because he or she likes the coffee, or can be special selected by for example an international jury like by the Q-auctions, Cup of excellence or other special jury at coffee meetings.

Althought I don't know Dutch I'm sure it's not that difficult to make a suitable translation for this.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:31 pm

And therein lies the problem. This term can mean different things to different people which is why I was trying to ascertain what it means to CoffeeFreak in order to help him convey that to his potential customers. It's true that the roaster chooses which beans to roast; however, the difference is from where that selection is made.

My understanding of SCR is not just from beans selected by that specific roaster. IIRC, for coffee beans to qualify as Specialty Coffee, it must meet criteria like not exceeding # defects per so many grams, minimum of other materials like twigs and leaves, stones, etc (which again IIRC, but not certain of # accuracy, is either only 2% of world production or that the very best accounts for only 2%)... and it is from this selection that the roaster chooses. Whether the gradings are consistent throughout the producing countries is beyond me... although one would imagine they should. Anyway, there a far more qualified people on TMC than me who can properly address that.

Otherwise, Guest, you right that a literal translation is not very difficult... just doesn't quite communicate the message CoffeeFreak would like :(

Marcy *who shouldn't be posting.. but packing*

Specialty Coffee Roaster

Postby coffeefreak » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks all for your input I think I need to make achoice out of what we have right now.

There are so many options, that I might try out some I really like and see how people react on those.

For now I'll close this subject unless someone woke up this morning with a scream and thought to have seen in a dream what I exactly mean.

Jan "Coffee Freak" Schuitemaker
Coffee roasted or green, it can be plesant or mean.
coffeefreak

Postby Jo2 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Good luck!
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Previous

Return to Open House